AFRICA/CONGO DR - The forgotten conflict in Masisi: The complaint of the Jesuit Refugee Service
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - Over the past six months the forces of MONUSCO (United Nations Mission in Congo) have supported the Congolese army against the March 23 Movement (M23) in the district of Rutshuru in North Kivu (eastern Democratic Republic of Congo). But in doing so - says a note sent to Fides Agency by the Jesuit Refugee Service (JRS) - army and MONUSCO have left several areas of the neighboring district of Masisi without protection, allowing complete freedom of movement to rebel groups, some of which are officially M23 allies."
In the last 6 months, more than 320,000 people have been forced to go to North Kivu. "Although the majority of the displaced are the result of the conflict between the government and the M23 in the Rutshuru district, many others have been forced to flee because of violence in the Masisi," the statement said.
"This fact - says a member of the JRS who works in Masisi – has caused an unjustifiable lack of protection for the population of the Masisi district. The population feels abandoned by MONUSCO which has failed to fulfill its task."
The JRS emphasizes that its field teams have direct evidence of the consequences of the clashes in the region. "In addition to the victims, violence leaves the most vulnerable people, women, children, elderly, sick and disabled, without assistance on behalf of humanitarian organizations or other members of their communities." (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 16/11/2012)
- 2013-06-12 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Rebels and regular army officers united in the illicit trade of Congolese minerals
- 2013-06-08 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Don Apollinaire Malumalu elected President of the Independent National Electoral Commission
- 2013-06-07 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The UN denounces new violence against civilians in North Kivu
- 2013-05-23 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Tensions in North Kivu on the eve of Ban Ki-moon’s visit
- 2013-04-17 AFRICA/DR CONGO - Congo Caritas in charge of distributing the funds of the national collection for the east
- 2013-04-09 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The South African troops have withdrawn from Bangui in the north of the Congo. Ready for revenge?
- 2013-04-03 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Jesuits’ initiative against weapons that fuel the crisis in the Great Lakes Region
- 2013-03-25 AFRICA/DR CONGO - A secessionist group sows terror in Lubumbashi
- 2013-03-20 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Hopes and interrogatives after the surrender of Bosco Ntaganda,
- 2013-03-07 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Fighting continues in North Kivu despite the agreements in Addis Ababa