AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - "United for life and for peace," the Catholic initiative to support the truce among the gangs
San Salvador (Agenzia Fides) - "We, the Bishops and pastors of different denominations will meet on Saturday, November 17 for a pastoral initiative for life and for peace. The families of gang members and members of our community, along with the population in general will be present. This is an ecumenical event which aims to support the efforts for peace that the Catholic Church launched with the truce among the gangs": these are the words that His Exc. Mgr. Fabio Colindres, Military Ordinary, sent to Fides Agency to announce the initiative in support of the truce of peace among the gangs (see Fides 28/03/2012 and 19/06/2012), which will take place during the weekend, with celebrations and moments of reflection around the country.
The event is called "United for life and for peace," and according to the promoters, it wishes to respond to a specific request of society, which calls for the union of all to combat the situation of violence and intolerance that affects Salvadorans. In this way the support for the peace process that began in March last year is publicly expressed.
Mgr. Colindres Abarca, the mediators (gang members) and the Government have made it clear that in the coming weeks new gestures of goodwill on behalf of the gangs could be announced, in addition to the reduction of the murders taking place in the country, although they continue to occur. "The important thing is that we have started the process, and that this has resulted in a reduction of the murders. There are some groups who have not yet decided to participate in this process, but we are working hard also for this reason, in order to integrate these groups," says Mgr. Colindres. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 16/11/2012)
- 2013-05-15 AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - Truce or peace process, but the population still suffers violence, denounce the Bishops
- 2013-04-10 AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - OAS and government together in the peace process, the truce between the gangs is a first step
- 2013-03-25 AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - Mgr. Romero was not a politician but a true pastor
- 2013-03-20 AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - Monsignor Romero, 33 years after his death the cause of beatification advances
- 2013-03-08 AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - The truce between the gangs is a positive iniative, but more needs to be done
- 2013-02-25 AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - Appeal for electoral campaign without violence and with transparency
- 2013-01-22 AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - The Vatican - observer of the Central American Integration System (SICA)
- 2012-11-16 AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - "United for life and for peace," the Catholic initiative to support the truce among the gangs
- 2012-10-15 AMERICA/ EL SALVADOR - "Politics is discredited, it has to be retrieved" urges Mgr. Rosa Chavez
- 2012-08-03 AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - "Regain our dignity", the Church welcomes dialogue but without external pressures