AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - "United for life and for peace," the Catholic initiative to support the truce among the gangs
San Salvador (Agenzia Fides) - "We, the Bishops and pastors of different denominations will meet on Saturday, November 17 for a pastoral initiative for life and for peace. The families of gang members and members of our community, along with the population in general will be present. This is an ecumenical event which aims to support the efforts for peace that the Catholic Church launched with the truce among the gangs": these are the words that His Exc. Mgr. Fabio Colindres, Military Ordinary, sent to Fides Agency to announce the initiative in support of the truce of peace among the gangs (see Fides 28/03/2012 and 19/06/2012), which will take place during the weekend, with celebrations and moments of reflection around the country.
The event is called "United for life and for peace," and according to the promoters, it wishes to respond to a specific request of society, which calls for the union of all to combat the situation of violence and intolerance that affects Salvadorans. In this way the support for the peace process that began in March last year is publicly expressed.
Mgr. Colindres Abarca, the mediators (gang members) and the Government have made it clear that in the coming weeks new gestures of goodwill on behalf of the gangs could be announced, in addition to the reduction of the murders taking place in the country, although they continue to occur. "The important thing is that we have started the process, and that this has resulted in a reduction of the murders. There are some groups who have not yet decided to participate in this process, but we are working hard also for this reason, in order to integrate these groups," says Mgr. Colindres. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 16/11/2012)
- 2015-08-17 - AMERICA/EL SALVADOR – Crowds of faithful gather to commemorate the birth of Blessed Oscar Romero
- 2015-08-10 - 16 murders a day, the church launches an appeal to stop violence
- 2015-08-10 - The Holy Father's concern for the violence in El Salvador
- 2015-08-01 - No negotiating with gangs in the plan for National Security
- 2015-06-27 - Mgr. Romero Romero is recognized as "Son Meritísimo of El Salvador"
- 2015-06-03 - Dengue fever mainly affects school age children
- 2015-06-01 - "The numbers of murders are manipulated in order to create chaos", denounces Mgr. Rosa Chavez
- 2015-05-25 - Archbishop Romero beatified: "symbol of peace, harmony and brotherhood"
- 2015-05-19 - AMERICA/EL SALVADOR – Preparation for the beatification of Mgr. Romero
- 2015-04-29 - Beatification of Mgr. Romero: 9 heads of state have already confirmed their participation