AMERICA/UNITED STATES - "This suffering must end": The Bishops call for an immigration reform in 2013
Baltimore (Agenzia Fides) - The Archbishop of Los Angeles, His Exc. Mgr. Jose Gomez, who chairs the Committee on Migration of the Catholic Bishops Conference of the United States of America (USCCB), urged re-elected President Barack Obama and Congress to make an immigration reform in 2013. "I invite the President and Congress to seize the day and begin the difficult process of creating a bipartisan agreement," said Bishop Gomez at the annual meeting of the USCCB in Baltimore, Maryland. In the note sent to Fides Agency, we read Mgr. Gomez’s words: "Millions of people remain in the shadows, without legal protection and marginalized. As a moral question, this suffering must end."
After November 6 election, both the President of the House of Representatives, Republican John Boehner, and the leader of the Democratic majority in the Senate, Harry Reid, have stressed the need for global immigration reform. "I am excited about the recent public statements by leaders of the two political parties that support the examination of the immigration reform in the new Congress," said the Archbishop of Los Angeles.
Mgr. Gomez believes that the immigration reform must uphold the rule of law, preserve the unity of the family, protection of human rights and dignity of persons, and therefore urged Catholics to make their voices heard in support of the immigration reform. "Immigration: a problem of 50 States" was the theme the Bishops discussed in December 2011 (see Fides 12/12/2011). According to data from the Pew Hispanic Center, at the end of 2011 11.2 million were undocumented immigrants. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 15/11/2012)
- 2013-05-10 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - "The suffering of immigrants has to stop!" says Cardinal Dolan
- 2013-04-10 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - Immigrants, Youth and reconstruction of Haiti, the aid priorities of the U.S. bishops
- 2013-04-03 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - 1.3 billion people worldwide live on less than $ 1.25 a day
- 2013-03-23 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - Immigration reform, perhaps even the support of the Pope
- 2013-03-11 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - Support of the African American community to the Caravan of Hope
- 2013-01-31 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - For the U.S. Bishops the parliamentary agreement on immigration reform is "an important first step"
- 2013-01-09 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - In California, one child out of 5 lives below the poverty line, the phenomenon is on the rise
- 2013-01-07 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - National Migration Week: to raise awareness on the 11 million undocumented persons
- 2012-12-10 AMERICA - About 300 000 children recruited for criminal activity in the world
- 2012-12-06 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - "The defense of immigrants is evangelization": the Bishop of Atlanta calls for an integral reform of immigration policy