AMERICA/BOLIVIA - "We cannot close our eyes or keep silent before the serious problems the country faces " Bishops during the 50th Episcopal Conference
Cochabamba (Agenzia Fides) - Bolivian Bishops reiterated their concerns and said they will be careful and will not remain silent before the serious problems that threaten the country. Their purpose is contained in the message read at the end of XCIV Assembly of the Bolivian Episcopal Conference (CEB), held in Cochabamba (see Fides 05/11/2012).
"We cannot close our eyes or keep our voice silent before the serious problems our country faces, such as corruption, insecurity, the increase in drug trafficking and persistent poverty" the Bishops said in the document that was presented by the Secretary General of the CEB, His Exc. Mgr. Eugenio Scarpellini, Auxiliary Bishop of El Alto. The press Conference was led by the new management of the CEB for the period 2012-2015, composed not only by His Exc. Mgr. Scarpellini, by His Exc. Mgr. Oscar Aparicio, Auxiliary Bishop of La Paz, President, and by His Exc. Mgr. Ricardo Centellas, Bishop of Potosi, Vice-President.
The document presents the work carried out in Bolivia by the CEB in its 50 years of life. "Even with its limitations, it has tried to have a careful look at the signs of the times in the country, it reflected and illuminated, transmitting messages of guidance for Catholics and people of good will, on issues related to the life of the country, motivating solidarity, hope and, when circumstances required it, by delivering its prophetic word " the Bishops said.
The document adds that the CEB addressed social and political problems "in their ethical and moral implications, resulting, in some cases, negative reactions and even attacks from the spheres of power." The CEB has been present in times of social and economic crisis and natural disasters, pledging to create solidarity with the poor and needy, denouncing the unjust structures of marginalization and exclusion in society. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 15/11/2012)
- 2014-04-09 - After the clashes, President Morales changes the minister and meets the miners
- 2014-03-29 - The Church reflects on the situation: "The people no longer have hope in this government"
- 2014-03-27 - Bishops’ priorities: Indigenous and social pastoral, relaunch of the Permanent Mission
- 2014-03-17 - Heavy rains have caused deaths and injuries in the Beni area, the lack of food is worrying
- 2014-02-28 - AMERICA/BOLIVIA – Flood stricken native peoples in Beni destitute and starving
- 2014-02-25 - AMERICA/BOLIVIA – Classrooms under water, 10 toilets and no water for more than 1000 pupils
- 2014-01-28 - National Emergency: 6000 homeless families due to rains and floods
- 2014-01-22 - The Andean Countries together for the XIII Regional Meeting of the Youth Ministry
- 2013-12-12 - Cardinal Terrazas urges to "combat violence, not with words, but with actions"
- 2013-12-03 - "We cannot live in fear, we must take the path of peace", says the Archbishop of Santa Cruz