AMERICA/BOLIVIA - "We cannot close our eyes or keep silent before the serious problems the country faces " Bishops during the 50th Episcopal Conference
Cochabamba (Agenzia Fides) - Bolivian Bishops reiterated their concerns and said they will be careful and will not remain silent before the serious problems that threaten the country. Their purpose is contained in the message read at the end of XCIV Assembly of the Bolivian Episcopal Conference (CEB), held in Cochabamba (see Fides 05/11/2012).
"We cannot close our eyes or keep our voice silent before the serious problems our country faces, such as corruption, insecurity, the increase in drug trafficking and persistent poverty" the Bishops said in the document that was presented by the Secretary General of the CEB, His Exc. Mgr. Eugenio Scarpellini, Auxiliary Bishop of El Alto. The press Conference was led by the new management of the CEB for the period 2012-2015, composed not only by His Exc. Mgr. Scarpellini, by His Exc. Mgr. Oscar Aparicio, Auxiliary Bishop of La Paz, President, and by His Exc. Mgr. Ricardo Centellas, Bishop of Potosi, Vice-President.
The document presents the work carried out in Bolivia by the CEB in its 50 years of life. "Even with its limitations, it has tried to have a careful look at the signs of the times in the country, it reflected and illuminated, transmitting messages of guidance for Catholics and people of good will, on issues related to the life of the country, motivating solidarity, hope and, when circumstances required it, by delivering its prophetic word " the Bishops said.
The document adds that the CEB addressed social and political problems "in their ethical and moral implications, resulting, in some cases, negative reactions and even attacks from the spheres of power." The CEB has been present in times of social and economic crisis and natural disasters, pledging to create solidarity with the poor and needy, denouncing the unjust structures of marginalization and exclusion in society. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 15/11/2012)
- 2014-09-04 - AMERICA/BOLIVIA – Catholic Bishops of Bolivia and Peru take communications course “For a culture of encounter”
- 2014-08-05 - National holiday: the Church hopes for unity and peace, in view of the forthcoming elections
- 2014-08-04 - Prevention to fight against the new phenomenon of 'micro-trafficking' of drugs
- 2014-07-10 - Insults and defamation: a campaign that has no political agenda
- 2014-06-18 - Conclusion of the G77 + China, the Church hopes for commitment in favor of the poor
- 2014-06-16 - Formation on values to combat violence and bullying
- 2014-05-26 - Meeting with the candidates: an initiative of the Church for the October elections
- 2014-05-16 - Basic Ecclesial Communities: the new face of the Church at the service of justice and peace
- 2014-04-28 - Children sold for sexual and labor exploitation and for the sale of organs
- 2014-04-09 - After the clashes, President Morales changes the minister and meets the miners