ASIA/SYRIA - Death of the Director of the Pontifical Mission Societies. Patriarch Laham: "May his death be an offer for peace"
Aleppo (Agenzia Fides) - Fr. Jules Baghdassarian, 55, National Director of the Pontifical Mission Societies (PMS) in Syria, a position he had held since 2003, died yesterday at noon, following a sudden heart attack. Fr Jules was a Greek Catholic priest (Melkite) and resided in Aleppo. The funeral will be held next Saturday in the church of San Giorgio in Aleppo, by His Exc. Mgr. Jean-Clément Jeanbart, Greek Catholic Archbishop of the city.
Fr. Jules had suffered much for the plight of the Syrian conflict, which reached the heart of Aleppo. In recent months, given the serious humanitarian situation of thousands of refugees in the city, he had devoted himself to charitable activities, assistance and accommodation of displaced families, to the organization of aid, to the resolution of the many problems that arose in this society. Probably - the POM Office in Aleppo refer to Fides – the worries, the situation of psycho-physical stress, anxiety and fatigue were fatal to him.
Greek Catholic Patriarch S.B. Gregorio III Laham, expressed to Fides Agency his condolences to Fr. Baghdassarian’s family and to the Greek Catholic community of Aleppo, he remembers him with these words: "He was a great friend of the poor, was inspired by great zeal for charity. His verbs were love and serve." "We hope - he adds - that his death is an offer for peace and reconciliation in Syria, for the future of the Christian community in Syria, for the triumph of charity in Syria and the Middle East." (PA) (Agenzia Fides 15/11/2012)
- 2014-08-21 - Mission of the Patriarchs in Iraq. The Chaldean Patriarch: no to sectarian militias
- 2014-07-31 - Aleppo, missile at the Armenian Catholic Church. Three dead
- 2014-07-30 - Pax Christi International: the arms trade fuels the Syrian conflict
- 2014-07-24 - Thousands of children excluded from the vaccination campaign against polio which has resurfaced in the Country
- 2014-07-08 - The government army towards Aleppo. Bishop Audo: we are on edge between hopes and fears, we also lack drinking water
- 2014-06-17 - Aleppo still without water, churches reactivate the wells
- 2014-06-05 - Aleppo again without water, other missiles on the areas inhabited by the Armenians
- 2014-06-02 - ASIA/SYRIA – The jiahdists of ISIL in Raqqa confiscate the property of Christians
- 2014-05-19 - Armenian Catholic Archbishop Marayati: Christians flee from Aleppo, besieged city
- 2014-05-02 - Even a Christian tries to candidate himself in the presidential election in June