ASIA/SYRIA - Families and especially children in the refugee camp of Atmeh, on the border between Syria and Turkey
Atmeh (Agenzia Fides) - There are many children who have escaped the on-going bloody civil war in Syria and represent the majority of the displaced in the tents of the refugee camp of Atmeh, on the border between Syria and Turkey. Many have been witnesses of atrocious facts, some have lost family members and many suffer from insomnia or are afraid of loud noises such as that of aircraft. The camp of Atmeh was created due to necessity about three months ago, when Turkey began to drastically reduce the entry of the Syrians. Tens of thousands of people were therefore blocked at the border. The fighting between the forces of President Bashar Assad and the rebels have caused the displacement of hundreds of thousands of Syrians to neighboring countries. In Turkish camps there are over 112 000 displaced Syrians. The procedures for crossing the border have become slower due to more severe security checks. In the refugee camp tents and food donated by aid agencies are distributed: there are more than 5,000 people, mostly families with many children, who were not allowed to reach Turkey. Among the tents it is easy to meet children who collect firewood for the bonfire or bring water in plastic containers. Every now and then you see some of them play. Every day people continue to arrive, there are not enough tents and families receive only half of the necessary food. From March 2011 this civil war has caused the deaths of at least 36,000 people. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 14/11/2012)
- 2013-12-11 ASIA/SYRIA - Archbishop Hindo: inciting Christians to take up arms is "insane"
- 2013-12-09 ASIA/SYRIA - The monastic Community in Deir Mar Musa works for reconciliation
- 2013-12-07 ASIA/SYRIA - The nuns of Maalula, the Lebanese security chief in Qatar to try and find a solution
- 2013-12-05 ASIA/SYRIA - Conflicting statements on the issue of the Sisters of Maalula
- 2013-12-03 ASIA/SYRIA - Patriarch Gregory III: "True martyrs in Maalula"
- 2013-12-02 ASIA/SYRIA - Maalula again occupied by the rebels
- 2013-11-28 ASIA/SYRIA - A parish priest: "The exodus of civil Christians from Qara, invaded by foreign jihadists"
- 2013-11-27 ASIA/SYRIA - Pax Christi International: Europe must not close its doors to Syrian refugees
- 2013-11-25 ASIA/SYRIA - The village of Deir Atieh invaded by Islamists: Christians identified and detained
- 2013-11-23 ASIA/SYRIA - Birth of the Islamic Front. Patriarch Gregorios III: they certainly do not fight for democracy