AMERICA/CUBA - A "sheet" that managed to arrive where the Church did not arrive...for 50 years
Havana (Agenzia Fides) –Talking is still going on, in parishes and among the people of Cuba with regards to the celebration held on Sunday, November 4, presided over by Cardinal Jaime Ortega, Archbishop of Havana, for the 50th anniversary of the publication "Vida Cristiana" of the Jesuits, which is distributed every week in every parish in Cuba and in most of the meeting places for the celebrations and catechesis where there is no church or chapel. According to a source of Fides Agency in Cuba, Cardinal Ortega in his homily stressed that "the 'sheet' has been an important presence of the Church in all environments, from east to west of Cuba, often reaching places which was beyond the presence of the Church. "
So the Cardinal spoke of the importance that such an experience of communication has had, so "humble and persevering" has become the light of Jesus Christ for many Cubans during five decades. He also drew a parallel between this experience and the " Catholic Bratislava Sheet " during the period of communism in Slovakia.
"Vida Cristiana" was founded in 1962 in the parish of the Holy Spirit, in the city of St. Spiritus. At first it was only a parish bulletin, then soon it became the only publication of the Catholic Church in Cuba for many years. Every Sunday all communities on the island receive it, bringing a message of faith, suggestions for the animation of the Sunday liturgy and news. Now it is the national publication of the Church, as it is the only publication for the 11 dioceses of the country. It is directed by the Jesuit fathers. His Exc. Mgr. Juan de Dios Hernández SJ, Auxiliary Bishop of Havana, and Fr. Alberto García SJ, current director of Vida Cristiana also attended the celebration for the 50th anniversary of the foundation. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 14/11/2012)
- 2015-03-26 - Cardinal Ortega: "dialogue, the new name of love"
- 2015-03-11 - A new church will be built in Cuba, the first since 1959
- 2015-03-09 - Conclusions of the XI Meeting of the National Directors of the PMS of America
- 2015-03-04 - Nearly half a million children will be vaccinated against polio
- 2015-03-03 - AMERICA/CUBA – Towards CAM 5: Continental Meeting of the PMS America
- 2015-02-19 - First steps in process to re-establish USA Cuba relations
- 2014-12-18 - "New horizons of hope brighten the lives of the Cuban people", says the Bishops' Conference
- 2014-11-13 - Poverty forces children to beg in the streets and work
- 2014-09-12 - Pastoral Plan 2014-2020: Christian Communities called to a “missionary option”
- 2014-01-17 - Cooperation projects in a different Cuba