AMERICA/GUATEMALA - Earthquake in Guatemala : 52 victims, the plan of aid and solidarity has begun
San Marcos (Agenzia Fides) – 52 people have died due to the earthquake on November 7, while 22 people are still considered missing, according to the report of Caritas Guatemala, sent to Fides Agency. Official figures show a terrible situation: 5,251 displaced, 150 wounded and 2,263 houses seriously damaged. The most affected are mainly very poor people. Even the damage to the infrastructure in the area is severe: 3 bridges destroyed, 10 schools and 26 hospitals damaged.
Caritas Guatemala has begun the collection of detailed information to be able to create a clear picture in order to provide targeted support to the victims in the affected areas: San Marcos, Quetzaltenango and Sololá. The Archdiocese of Guatemala has opened two centers for the collection of food and blankets, while a truck with medical supplies and drinking water has already left the capital. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 10/11/2012)
- 2013-10-23 AMERICA/GUATEMALA - " They only leave crumbs, generate social conflicts and destroy the environment": Mgr. Ramazzini on foreign mining companies
- 2013-10-02 AMERICA/GUATEMALA - Over two thousand children are HIV-positive
- 2013-08-29 AMERICA/GUATEMALA - Ensuring food and health care to mothers in the early months of pregnancy to prevent born babies to die of hunger
- 2013-08-08 AMERICA/GUATEMALA - 4 villages of ethnic Q'eqchi are isolated due to severe floods, the Church intervenes
- 2013-07-31 AMERICA/GUATEMALA - Epidemic dengue due to the contagion of 3,700 people and the death of 2 children
- 2013-07-05 AMERICA/GUATEMALA - 6,707 children under five years of age suffer from acute malnutrition and risk death
- 2013-05-06 AMERICA/GUATEMALA - Clashes on mining. "One must avoid violence and protect the rights of communities," says a Bishop
- 2013-04-29 AMERICA/GUATEMALA - Indifference of the government before violence, the bishops raise their voices recalling the open wounds
- 2013-02-26 AMERICA/GUATEMALA - Year of Faith: a pastoral Letter denouncing violence
- 2013-01-28 AMERICA/GUATEMALA - For the Bishops "the food crisis that affects thousands of Guatemalans is more serious than the financial crisis"