ASIA/SYRIA - The historic Evangelical Church of Aleppo destroyed with explosives
Aleppo (Agenzia Fides) - The historic Arabic Evangelical Church of Aleppo, in the Jdeideh district (the old town), was mined with explosives and blown up "by armed men, for pure sectarian hatred": This is what Pastor Ibrahim Nasir, spiritual leader of the Arabic Evangelical Church in Aleppo says, in a statement sent to Fides Agency, referring to the explosion which occurred two days ago.
Rev. Ibrahim Nasir expressed "bitterness and sadness of all Syrian citizens" for an act that makes Christians "inconsolable". The message sent to Fides says: "Today we are announcing the destruction of the Arabic Evangelical Church, the first martyr Church. Today the Mosque of the Umayyad of Aleppo and the Evangelical Church of Aleppo met in an embrace of pain, as they were embraced, since 1848, in the worship of God and service to man. Today is the day when we cry out to Christ to say: my God, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing."
In the tragedy that the Syrian people live, says the leader, "every church, every mosque is a haven for all those who have been forced to flee their homes." And states: "We will overcome our pain and rebuild our country, our church, our mosque and our humanity."
The text concludes: "We cling with faith to the words of our Lord Jesus Christ: I leave you my peace, my peace I give unto you, not as the world gives you," thanking "all those who have expressed solidarity" and praying to God "to pour out upon all Syrians the spirit of love." (PA) (Agenzia Fides 09/11/2012)
- 2015-05-28 - Appeal of the Marists of Aleppo to the Pope: if you want Christians to remain, the war must be stopped
- 2015-05-27 - Assyrian hostages: jihadists release two women
- 2015-05-26 - The jihadists retreat from the villages on the river Khabur, leaving destroyed crosses and vandalized churches
- 2015-05-25 - Syrian Catholic Patriarch Ignace Youssif III: prayer and fasting for father Murad and deacon Hanna’s release
- 2015-05-22 - ASIA/SYRIA – Fr. Jacques Murad kidnapped; he belonged to the same community of Father Paolo Dall'Oglio
- 2015-05-13 - Raid of the coalition in the Khabur valley; Assyrian hostages are likely to become "human shields"
- 2015-05-08 - Chaldean Bishop of Aleppo: in dirty wars in the Middle East there are those who exploit the suffering of Christians
- 2015-04-30 - Archbishop Hindo: "jihadi attack warded off in Hassaké. Deadlock in negotiations for the release of Assyrian hostages"
- 2015-04-17 - Christian Cemeteries vandalized in Mosul and in Galilee
- 2015-04-17 - The Syrian government dedicates a garden to the Martyrs of the Assyrian Genocide in the center of Damascus