ASIA/SYRIA - The historic Evangelical Church of Aleppo destroyed with explosives
Aleppo (Agenzia Fides) - The historic Arabic Evangelical Church of Aleppo, in the Jdeideh district (the old town), was mined with explosives and blown up "by armed men, for pure sectarian hatred": This is what Pastor Ibrahim Nasir, spiritual leader of the Arabic Evangelical Church in Aleppo says, in a statement sent to Fides Agency, referring to the explosion which occurred two days ago.
Rev. Ibrahim Nasir expressed "bitterness and sadness of all Syrian citizens" for an act that makes Christians "inconsolable". The message sent to Fides says: "Today we are announcing the destruction of the Arabic Evangelical Church, the first martyr Church. Today the Mosque of the Umayyad of Aleppo and the Evangelical Church of Aleppo met in an embrace of pain, as they were embraced, since 1848, in the worship of God and service to man. Today is the day when we cry out to Christ to say: my God, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing."
In the tragedy that the Syrian people live, says the leader, "every church, every mosque is a haven for all those who have been forced to flee their homes." And states: "We will overcome our pain and rebuild our country, our church, our mosque and our humanity."
The text concludes: "We cling with faith to the words of our Lord Jesus Christ: I leave you my peace, my peace I give unto you, not as the world gives you," thanking "all those who have expressed solidarity" and praying to God "to pour out upon all Syrians the spirit of love." (PA) (Agenzia Fides 09/11/2012)
- 2014-11-15 - 25 Christian families still in Raqqa. Obligation to pay a "protection tax"
- 2014-11-14 - Archbishop Hindo: if the US attack the Syrian army, we will have a second Libya
- 2014-11-12 - Negotiations for a truce in Aleppo. Bishop Abou Khazen: it is only useful if it brings us closer to true peace
- 2014-10-30 - The Catholic Syrian Bishops: if the world wants to help us, stop sending us weapons!
- 2014-10-13 - The five Christians of the Orontes Valley, who were still being held by jihadists, have been released
- 2014-10-10 - Five Christians of the Orontes Valley still held by Islamic jihadists
- 2014-10-09 - Father Jallouf Hanna has been released
- 2014-10-09 - ASIA/SYRIA – The four women abducted along with Father Hanna have been released; no message from the kidnappers
- 2014-10-08 - The Franciscan priest kidnapped after he had appealed to the Islamic Court
- 2014-10-07 - Custody of the Holy Land: Fr. Jallouf and other Christians kidnapped by the jihadists linked to al-Nusra