AFRICA/NIGERIA - Flooding: "We have nothing, but we will stay with the people in difficulty until the end," says a missionary
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) - "We have no drinking water, 160 people have already died due to the rains. The waters flooded all the villages in the area, " writes Brother Damian Krzystof to Fides Agency, a Polish missionary, who works in the Apostolic Vicariate of Bomadi in the State of Delta, in southern Nigeria, one of the areas most affected by the recent floods that have devastated several West African countries.
"Nobody is helping us, as missionaries, however, we will remain with the people in difficulty until the end," says Brother Damian. "We opened two centers to accommodate displaced people but there are at least 100,000 people in need of urgent help in our villages," concludes the missionary.
According to the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), floods across Nigeria have caused 363 deaths and over 2 million displaced. The data collected by NEMA refers to the period from 1 July to 31 October. In total, 7.7 million people have been affected by the torrential rains. The federal government has promised $ 110 million to deal with the damage caused by floods, described as "unprecedented." (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 09/11/2012)
- 2013-11-25 AFRICA/NIGERIA - Cardinal Onaiyekan’s prudence on the news of Christian women abducted by Boko Haram and forcibly converted to Islam
- 2013-11-22 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "The existence of many Pentecostal churches is no impediment to the evangelization mission of the Catholic Church", said Cardinal Onaiyekan
- 2013-11-14 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "Good knowledge of other religions at the basis for dialogue between Christians and Muslims"
- 2013-11-13 AFRICA/NIGERIA - The Nigerian deputies open an investigation into the management of oil
- 2013-11-07 AFRICA/NIGERIA - A stampede left at least 28 people dead during a prayer vigil
- 2013-10-16 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "The Church urged to reduce poverty", says the Director of Caritas
- 2013-09-30 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "Boko Haram is now composed of fanatics that affect Christians and Muslims," said Bishop Kaigama
- 2013-09-20 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "I am happy to be a Catholic" Holy Childhood celebrates the Year of Faith
- 2013-09-20 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "Boko Haram has no qualms in killing innocent people", said Mgr. Kaigama
- 2013-09-16 AFRICA/NIGERIA - The Bishops denounce "the attempts of foreign agencies to introduce unhealthy values in society"