AFRICA/NIGERIA - Flooding: "We have nothing, but we will stay with the people in difficulty until the end," says a missionary
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) - "We have no drinking water, 160 people have already died due to the rains. The waters flooded all the villages in the area, " writes Brother Damian Krzystof to Fides Agency, a Polish missionary, who works in the Apostolic Vicariate of Bomadi in the State of Delta, in southern Nigeria, one of the areas most affected by the recent floods that have devastated several West African countries.
"Nobody is helping us, as missionaries, however, we will remain with the people in difficulty until the end," says Brother Damian. "We opened two centers to accommodate displaced people but there are at least 100,000 people in need of urgent help in our villages," concludes the missionary.
According to the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), floods across Nigeria have caused 363 deaths and over 2 million displaced. The data collected by NEMA refers to the period from 1 July to 31 October. In total, 7.7 million people have been affected by the torrential rains. The federal government has promised $ 110 million to deal with the damage caused by floods, described as "unprecedented." (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 09/11/2012)
- 2014-12-17 - The parishes of Maiduguri cares for more than 5,000 displaced people fleeing Boko Haram
- 2014-12-01 - Boko Haram: assault on the capital of Yobe, new victims over the weekend
- 2014-11-29 - Mgr. Kaigama: "Boko Haram attacks Muslims who do not think like them"
- 2014-11-27 - Boko Haram plans attacks with suicide women bombers disguised as nuns
- 2014-11-19 - File: the damage inflicted by Boko Haram to the diocese of Maiduguri
- 2014-11-19 - More than 100,000 Catholics scattered because of Boko Haram, "but we remain to bear witness with our presence", said a priest of Maiduguri
- 2014-11-18 - The President of the Episcopal Conference warns: "The 2015 elections will create a political situation that will be explosive"
- 2014-11-10 - Archbishop Kaigama: "Politicians must abandon the electoral struggle and unite to fight Boko Haram"
- 2014-11-06 - National Prayer Vigil for peace in the nation
- 2014-10-28 - There has not been any negotiation so far with the "real" Boko Haram