AFRICA/NIGERIA - Flooding: "We have nothing, but we will stay with the people in difficulty until the end," says a missionary
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) - "We have no drinking water, 160 people have already died due to the rains. The waters flooded all the villages in the area, " writes Brother Damian Krzystof to Fides Agency, a Polish missionary, who works in the Apostolic Vicariate of Bomadi in the State of Delta, in southern Nigeria, one of the areas most affected by the recent floods that have devastated several West African countries.
"Nobody is helping us, as missionaries, however, we will remain with the people in difficulty until the end," says Brother Damian. "We opened two centers to accommodate displaced people but there are at least 100,000 people in need of urgent help in our villages," concludes the missionary.
According to the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), floods across Nigeria have caused 363 deaths and over 2 million displaced. The data collected by NEMA refers to the period from 1 July to 31 October. In total, 7.7 million people have been affected by the torrential rains. The federal government has promised $ 110 million to deal with the damage caused by floods, described as "unprecedented." (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 09/11/2012)
- 2015-03-30 - "Boko Haram failed to prevent the holding of elections", says the Bishop of Maiduguri
- 2015-03-28 - Caritas: "There is hope of allowing refugees to return to their homes, but destruction is enormous"
- 2015-03-27 - On the eve of the vote 90% of the areas freed from Boko Haram; "Why was it not done before?"
- 2015-03-25 - "Elections can be held in Maiduguri" says the Bishop
- 2015-03-23 - Cardinal Onaiyekan: "We need a change in policy, people are tired"
- 2015-03-18 - No trace of the schoolgirls abducted in areas reconquered by the army
- 2015-03-16 - Religious leaders: "Development and the fight against corruption to stop Boko Haram"
- 2015-03-10 - The Nigerian Bishops to 36,000 refugees in northern Cameroon: "We have not abandoned you!"
- 2015-03-04 - The Bishops of Nigeria and Cameroon together in assisting refugees fleeing Boko Haram
- 2015-02-26 - "Family threatened by materialism and selfishness", say the Bishops