AFRICA/NIGERIA - Flooding: "We have nothing, but we will stay with the people in difficulty until the end," says a missionary
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) - "We have no drinking water, 160 people have already died due to the rains. The waters flooded all the villages in the area, " writes Brother Damian Krzystof to Fides Agency, a Polish missionary, who works in the Apostolic Vicariate of Bomadi in the State of Delta, in southern Nigeria, one of the areas most affected by the recent floods that have devastated several West African countries.
"Nobody is helping us, as missionaries, however, we will remain with the people in difficulty until the end," says Brother Damian. "We opened two centers to accommodate displaced people but there are at least 100,000 people in need of urgent help in our villages," concludes the missionary.
According to the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), floods across Nigeria have caused 363 deaths and over 2 million displaced. The data collected by NEMA refers to the period from 1 July to 31 October. In total, 7.7 million people have been affected by the torrential rains. The federal government has promised $ 110 million to deal with the damage caused by floods, described as "unprecedented." (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 09/11/2012)
- 2015-03-04 - The Bishops of Nigeria and Cameroon together in assisting refugees fleeing Boko Haram
- 2015-02-26 - "Family threatened by materialism and selfishness", say the Bishops
- 2015-02-09 - "We hope that the postponement of the election was made with good intentions", said Mgr. Kaigama
- 2015-02-05 - "If Maiduguri falls into the hands of Boko Haram, it would be a disaster for Africa as a continent"
- 2015-01-26 - The Bishop of Maiduguri: "Boko Haram could conquer the entire north-east before the end of the election"
- 2015-01-23 - The Bishops: "too many politicians resort to slander and incite violence" during the election campaign
- 2015-01-16 - Malnutrition, trauma, violence: urgent medical assistance to the survivors of the attack committed by Boko Haram
- 2015-01-12 - "Future hope for a major demonstration to take place just like the one in Paris to say no to Boko Haram" proposes Mgr. Kaigama
- 2015-01-09 - New violence committed by Boko Haram: perhaps 2,000 dead, several churches burned
- 2015-01-08 - Boko Haram is now a regional problem