AFRICA/NIGERIA - Flooding: "We have nothing, but we will stay with the people in difficulty until the end," says a missionary
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) - "We have no drinking water, 160 people have already died due to the rains. The waters flooded all the villages in the area, " writes Brother Damian Krzystof to Fides Agency, a Polish missionary, who works in the Apostolic Vicariate of Bomadi in the State of Delta, in southern Nigeria, one of the areas most affected by the recent floods that have devastated several West African countries.
"Nobody is helping us, as missionaries, however, we will remain with the people in difficulty until the end," says Brother Damian. "We opened two centers to accommodate displaced people but there are at least 100,000 people in need of urgent help in our villages," concludes the missionary.
According to the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), floods across Nigeria have caused 363 deaths and over 2 million displaced. The data collected by NEMA refers to the period from 1 July to 31 October. In total, 7.7 million people have been affected by the torrential rains. The federal government has promised $ 110 million to deal with the damage caused by floods, described as "unprecedented." (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 09/11/2012)
- 2014-02-27 AFRICA/NIGERIA - “Move army command to epicentre of Boko Haram violence” Nigerian Senate orders
- 2014-02-20 AFRICA/NIGERIA - Boko Haram: "we will hit the Nigeria oil region"
- 2014-02-17 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "The latest massacre of civilians unfortunately does not surprise me" says the Archbishop of Jos to Fides
- 2014-02-12 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "No imposition of secular values in Africa," said the Archbishop of Jos
- 2014-02-05 AFRICA/NIGERIA – 80 people killed in the last 24 hours due to violence in four Nigerian states
- 2014-01-29 AFRICA/NIGERIA - Boko Haram: "military response alone does not solve anything", says Cardinal Onaiyekan
- 2014-01-28 AFRICA/NIGERIA - Boko Haram attacks northern Nigeria, also a Catholic church was attacked
- 2013-11-25 AFRICA/NIGERIA - Cardinal Onaiyekan’s prudence on the news of Christian women abducted by Boko Haram and forcibly converted to Islam
- 2013-11-22 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "The existence of many Pentecostal churches is no impediment to the evangelization mission of the Catholic Church", said Cardinal Onaiyekan
- 2013-11-14 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "Good knowledge of other religions at the basis for dialogue between Christians and Muslims"