AFRICA/NIGERIA - National disaster: floods have so far hit seven million and 700 thousand people
Lagos (Agenzia Fides) - The death toll caused by the worst floods recorded in the last decades in southern Nigeria (see Fides 11/10/2012) continues to worsen. According to estimates by the National Emergency Management Agency of Nigeria (NEMA), since the month of July about 400 people have been killed and another two million and one hundred thousand have fled their homes. The floods, which are defined by the local authorities a 'national disaster', have hit 7 million and 700 thousand people, of whom 18,282, swept away by the rivers, were injured. Although authorities have not confirmed it, the consequences of the disaster are very serious and may lead to food crisis due to the crop which submerged by the water. Damage was also caused to oil, a major source of public revenue, and the production has been reduced to 500 thousand barrels per day, about a fifth of its potential. Most of the flood victims criticized the inadequate response of the authorities, despite heavy rains fall every year between August and October in the states of Bayelsa and Delta. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 07/11/2012)
- 2013-06-17 AFRICA/NIGERIA - Four churches burned by Boko Haram; Mgr. Kaigama: "regional approach to defeat them"
- 2013-05-24 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "British-born Adebolajo is not a Nigerian": the Nigerian community in London react
- 2013-05-22 AFRICA/NIGERIA - The Bishops: "Nigeria now almost totters on the brink. Prayer is essential to restore peace"
- 2013-05-21 AFRICA/NIGERIA – Bishops say: "Yes to the State of emergency but it is politicians have to work for peace,"
- 2013-05-16 AFRICA/NIGERIA - The Secretary of CAN in Borno killed, shortly after the declaration of a state of emergency
- 2013-05-15 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "I am skeptical about the imposition of a State of emergency," said Mgr. Kaigama
- 2013-05-11 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "The Nigerian Church is with you": solidarity visit to Maiduguri of the Bishops of Jos Ecclesiastical Province
- 2013-05-07 AFRICA/NIGERIA - After the clashes in Baga, displaced people are still homeless
- 2013-05-02 AFRICA/NIGERIA - The satellite images testify the heavy destruction in Baga
- 2013-04-30 AFRICA/NIGERIA - Six Bishops of the Province of Jos on a solidarity visit to Maiduguri