AMERICA/PANAMA - A minute of prayer for Panama across the country, dialogue in Colon reopens
Panama (Agenzia Fides) - The Catholic Church of Panama launched a special initiative: it asked everyone, wherever they were (at home, at work, in the car ...) a minute of prayer for the nation, yesterday, 6 November, at 3 pm. His Exc. Mgr. José Domingo Ulloa Mendieta, Archbishop of Panama, led the minute of prayer through FETV Channel 5, and in the reflection that followed asked the Almighty to deliver us from evil, from everything that demeans human condition, selfishness that makes us numb to other people’s pain.
The main purpose of this prayer initiative was to offer a service, on behalf of Catholics, "to our beloved Country, especially in this month of November," as the Archbishop of Panama wrote in a note sent to Fides Agency. November is the month of National Day, on 3 November the Day of Panama was celebrated, and today, November 7, dialogue on Colon reopens.
After a minute of prayer, the Archbishop visited the Minor Basilica Don Bosco, where he presided over the Eucharist in the afternoon, on the occasion of the Day of Fasting and Prayer for the Nation, an initiative of the Archdiocesan Commission. Government officials, including President Ricardo Martinelli, and some ministers attended Mass. In his homily the Archbishop said among other things: "We need to be like God and discover that our neighbor is a brother, we need to transform our lives and work for the common good of the Panamanians... Let us put before the Lord the table of dialogue which starts tomorrow (November 7) in Colon, so that we can find the definite way to reconciliation and human development. "
According to information gathered by Fides, the initiative of the Archdiocese, was also held in every diocese in the country, where the prayer intention focused in the request of reconciliation and peace after the sad events in Colon (see Fides 22/10/2012 and 24/10/2012). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 07/11/2012)
- 2013-03-09 AMERICA/PANAMA - The "Electoral Ethics Pact" promoted by the Church signed by the parties, not by the government
- 2013-03-05 AMERICA/PANAMA - "Do not give support to candidates who do not sign the Electoral Ethics Pact" insists the Church
- 2013-02-21 AMERICA/PANAMA - No to text changes in Electoral Ethics Pact
- 2013-01-31 AMERICA/PANAMA - The "Electoral Ethics Pact" text to defend democracy, mutual respect is ready
- 2013-01-11 AMERICA/PANAMA - Bishops denounce the "growing social disillusionment " and propose public education as a basis for development
- 2012-12-12 AMERICA/PANAMA - The Catholic Church mediates between firemen and government authorities
- 2012-12-03 AMERICA/PANAMA - Archbishop Ulloa is the new President of SEDAC
- 2012-11-30 AMERICA/PANAMA - The 500th anniversary of the first diocese: Cardinal Ouellet meets with the President of Panama; Santa Maria La Antigua’s story on the web
- 2012-11-28 AMERICA/PANAMA - Meeting of the Bishops of Central America, today the opening of the Jubilee Year for the 500th anniversary of the first diocese
- 2012-11-07 AMERICA/PANAMA - A minute of prayer for Panama across the country, dialogue in Colon reopens