AMERICA/PANAMA - A minute of prayer for Panama across the country, dialogue in Colon reopens
Panama (Agenzia Fides) - The Catholic Church of Panama launched a special initiative: it asked everyone, wherever they were (at home, at work, in the car ...) a minute of prayer for the nation, yesterday, 6 November, at 3 pm. His Exc. Mgr. José Domingo Ulloa Mendieta, Archbishop of Panama, led the minute of prayer through FETV Channel 5, and in the reflection that followed asked the Almighty to deliver us from evil, from everything that demeans human condition, selfishness that makes us numb to other people’s pain.
The main purpose of this prayer initiative was to offer a service, on behalf of Catholics, "to our beloved Country, especially in this month of November," as the Archbishop of Panama wrote in a note sent to Fides Agency. November is the month of National Day, on 3 November the Day of Panama was celebrated, and today, November 7, dialogue on Colon reopens.
After a minute of prayer, the Archbishop visited the Minor Basilica Don Bosco, where he presided over the Eucharist in the afternoon, on the occasion of the Day of Fasting and Prayer for the Nation, an initiative of the Archdiocesan Commission. Government officials, including President Ricardo Martinelli, and some ministers attended Mass. In his homily the Archbishop said among other things: "We need to be like God and discover that our neighbor is a brother, we need to transform our lives and work for the common good of the Panamanians... Let us put before the Lord the table of dialogue which starts tomorrow (November 7) in Colon, so that we can find the definite way to reconciliation and human development. "
According to information gathered by Fides, the initiative of the Archdiocese, was also held in every diocese in the country, where the prayer intention focused in the request of reconciliation and peace after the sad events in Colon (see Fides 22/10/2012 and 24/10/2012). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 07/11/2012)
- 2014-07-12 - Insecurity and lack of protection of resources among the serious problems of the Country according to the Bishops
- 2014-05-22 - On a mission in the vulnerable suburbs of society: migrants, itinerant people, displaced ...
- 2014-04-30 - First Congress on human mobility in Latin America and the Caribbean
- 2014-04-15 - The Church calls for calm and responsible participation in the voting
- 2014-02-14 - Conclusion of the Jubilee for the 500th anniversary of Santa Maria La Antigua, the first Church of the continent
- 2014-01-10 - "An inclusive democracy for the dignity of all the people in Panama": the Assembly of Bishops calls on people to vote on May 4
- 2013-11-25 - Religious leaders’ appeal to stop violence against children and adolescents
- 2013-10-31 - Priest killed in broad daylight in front of the Bishop's house
- 2013-10-24 - Education, health care and food for children belonging to poor communities
- 2013-10-16 - The Church ready to mediate between the government and doctors on strike