AMERICA/PANAMA - A minute of prayer for Panama across the country, dialogue in Colon reopens
Panama (Agenzia Fides) - The Catholic Church of Panama launched a special initiative: it asked everyone, wherever they were (at home, at work, in the car ...) a minute of prayer for the nation, yesterday, 6 November, at 3 pm. His Exc. Mgr. José Domingo Ulloa Mendieta, Archbishop of Panama, led the minute of prayer through FETV Channel 5, and in the reflection that followed asked the Almighty to deliver us from evil, from everything that demeans human condition, selfishness that makes us numb to other people’s pain.
The main purpose of this prayer initiative was to offer a service, on behalf of Catholics, "to our beloved Country, especially in this month of November," as the Archbishop of Panama wrote in a note sent to Fides Agency. November is the month of National Day, on 3 November the Day of Panama was celebrated, and today, November 7, dialogue on Colon reopens.
After a minute of prayer, the Archbishop visited the Minor Basilica Don Bosco, where he presided over the Eucharist in the afternoon, on the occasion of the Day of Fasting and Prayer for the Nation, an initiative of the Archdiocesan Commission. Government officials, including President Ricardo Martinelli, and some ministers attended Mass. In his homily the Archbishop said among other things: "We need to be like God and discover that our neighbor is a brother, we need to transform our lives and work for the common good of the Panamanians... Let us put before the Lord the table of dialogue which starts tomorrow (November 7) in Colon, so that we can find the definite way to reconciliation and human development. "
According to information gathered by Fides, the initiative of the Archdiocese, was also held in every diocese in the country, where the prayer intention focused in the request of reconciliation and peace after the sad events in Colon (see Fides 22/10/2012 and 24/10/2012). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 07/11/2012)
- 2015-10-13 - 200 children working in the fields have been redeemed
- 2015-10-01 - Mgr. Aguilar: "The government must stop gambling because it impoverishes families"
- 2015-09-07 - Mgr. Ulloa encourages inmates: "Imprisonment is not the same as exclusion"
- 2015-07-07 - Plenary Assembly of Bishops: defense of marriage, family and creation, reconciliation, justice and corruption
- 2015-06-30 - Cardinal Lacunza: "despite scandals and corruption, we have to believe in justice"
- 2015-03-24 - Summit of the Americas: the Vatican Secretary of State will be present, for the first time
- 2015-02-23 - “We must work for the poor”: Cardinal Lacunza says on the feast of Cristo de Atalaya
- 2014-12-19 - Even Cuba will attend the Summit of the Americas: a dream come true
- 2014-12-16 - Last round of by-elections, the local Church sends observers to polling stations
- 2014-08-04 - First Congress on the Family "source of social wealth"