AMERICA/VENEZUELA - The Year of Faith begins in Venezuela with an appeal for an amnesty for political prisoners
Caracas (Agenzia Fides) - The Archbishop of Caracas, Cardinal Jorge Urosa Savino, launched an appeal to the national government to take the necessary measures in favour of political prisoners: "We insisted on this issue so that impartial justice is applied, and so there are no political prisoners," he said, pointing out that the Venezuelan Bishops have repeatedly insisted on the request for pardon for political prisoners. "I join the request for amnesty and requests for pardon - the Cardinal said - they bring peace in the hearts of those who know that they were wrongly convicted and give the Venezuelan people awareness that in Venezuela political opponents of the government are not punished unfairly."
Cardinal Urosa Savino spoke after the Mass celebrated on Saturday, November 3 at the Church of Our Lady of Chiquinquirá, in the capital of Venezuela, on the occasion of the opening of the Year of Faith, attended by about 2000 people. The Archbishop of Caracas explained that the Year of Faith was proclaimed by Pope Benedict XVI for a renewal of the Catholic faith, and in his speech he also deplored the high number of murders in Caracas in recent weeks. "I want to offer my condolences to the relatives of these families," said the Cardinal, with an appeal to everyone to put an end to the violence in the country. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 05/11/2012)
- 2015-03-03 - Classes suspended in the University of Tachira, false accusations made against the Catholic University
- 2015-02-27 - The Bishops: "Stop murderous violence!"
- 2015-02-25 - More violence and protests: 6 dead in six days of demonstrations
- 2015-02-24 - Growing tension in the capital, Cardinal Urosa denounces murder of 3 students
- 2015-02-20 - Police arrest Mayor of Caracas, for Archbishop Lückert “proof of dictatorship ”
- 2015-01-31 - Four churches attacked in Mérida
- 2015-01-30 - Mgr. Parra robbed during a parish meeting: "Money is spent on many things, but not on safety"
- 2015-01-13 - Dialogue to end the crisis: the exhortation of the Episcopal Conference
- 2015-01-12 - Shops are empty: Cardinal Urosa calls on the government to act quickly and urges to remain calm
- 2015-01-08 - AMERICA/VENEZUELA – Assembly of Bishops: dialogue to end the crisis and the necessity to find agreed solutions