AMERICA/VENEZUELA - The Year of Faith begins in Venezuela with an appeal for an amnesty for political prisoners
Caracas (Agenzia Fides) - The Archbishop of Caracas, Cardinal Jorge Urosa Savino, launched an appeal to the national government to take the necessary measures in favour of political prisoners: "We insisted on this issue so that impartial justice is applied, and so there are no political prisoners," he said, pointing out that the Venezuelan Bishops have repeatedly insisted on the request for pardon for political prisoners. "I join the request for amnesty and requests for pardon - the Cardinal said - they bring peace in the hearts of those who know that they were wrongly convicted and give the Venezuelan people awareness that in Venezuela political opponents of the government are not punished unfairly."
Cardinal Urosa Savino spoke after the Mass celebrated on Saturday, November 3 at the Church of Our Lady of Chiquinquirá, in the capital of Venezuela, on the occasion of the opening of the Year of Faith, attended by about 2000 people. The Archbishop of Caracas explained that the Year of Faith was proclaimed by Pope Benedict XVI for a renewal of the Catholic faith, and in his speech he also deplored the high number of murders in Caracas in recent weeks. "I want to offer my condolences to the relatives of these families," said the Cardinal, with an appeal to everyone to put an end to the violence in the country. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 05/11/2012)
- 2014-02-28 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Pray for Venezuela and discern events in the light of the Word of God
- 2014-02-27 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - The Church at National Conference for Peace: find ways and means for dialogue to resolve the difficulties of Venezuela
- 2014-02-26 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - “A process of reconciliation is necessary”, Bishops call dialogue to discover the truth
- 2014-02-26 AMERICA/VENEZUELA – Christians in prayer to accompany imminent National Peace Conference
- 2014-02-21 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Cardinal Urosa to the government: "dialogue that recognizes the country's problems "
- 2014-02-18 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Funeral of the two Salesians killed: more than 50 years at the service of Venezuela
- 2014-02-17 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Two Salesians killed and two others injured during a robbery, insecurity in the country is worrying
- 2014-02-15 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - The Bishop of Maracay: "One has the right to protest, but violence has to stop"
- 2014-02-14 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - "The government must listen to the people who protest" the voice of the Church after 3 deaths during demonstrations
- 2014-01-31 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - According to the report of an NGO, more than 500 deaths in prisons in 2013