ASIA/PHILIPPINES - At the cemetery via the web: Filipino migrants for a "virtual visit" to the dead
Manila (Agenzia Fides) - A "virtual tour" via the web at the cemetery, with prayers for their dead, listening to a meditation, a chance to leave an offering: is an initiative launched by the Office of Social Communications of the Episcopal Conference of the Philippines, and specifically intended for Filipino migrants abroad, on the occasion of the 1st and 2nd of November festivities, when the Church celebrates the Feast of All Saints and the Commemoration of the Dead.
The initiative, explains to Fides the Office of Philippine Bishops guided by Mgr. Pedro Quitorio, stems from the awareness that Filipino workers abroad are over 8 million, and are increasing every year. They are mainly fervent Catholics and, among other things, are also a potential of evangelization for the Churches in Western countries and Arab countries. The festivities of the first days of November are very much felt by the Filipino Catholic population and the fact of being away from home and from their family, not being able to visit their loved ones, is a great suffering for the emigrants. This is why the Bishops have sought a solution that, thanks to new technologies, could meet this requirement and "shorten the gap". This is how the website www.undasonline.com ("Undas" is the term in the local language to indicate the festivities of November) was born, where the faithful abroad can carry out a virtual trip to the cemetery and visit the graves of their loved ones , remaining in communion of prayer with them.
Referring to the feast of All Saints and All Souls, Mgr. Quitorio adds that these moments are not to be exploited for the 2013 election campaign, and calls upon the Filipino politicians not to exploit them in order to gain advantage: therefore, says the Bishop, one should not put up posters , banners and campaign materials in the vicinity of cemeteries, or do campaigns in churches. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 31/10/2012)
- 2013-04-25 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - Bishops' Appeal: "Cherish the earth to save Mindanao"
- 2013-04-24 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - The religious: " Government insufficient on ecology, human rights, corruption, land reform"
- 2013-04-16 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - General Elections: the Church traces the identikit of the "good candidate"
- 2013-03-04 ASIA/PHILIPPINES – The activist killed in Boracay was a lay Catholic of the Vincentian Family
- 2013-02-28 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - The Church next to the tribals, in the face of abuses in the tourist paradise of Boracay
- 2013-01-30 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - The Bishops on the upcoming elections: we need a law against political dynasties
- 2013-01-22 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - The typhoon also has an impact on maternal and child health
- 2013-01-14 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - Schools reopen after the typhoon but there is still no electricity
- 2012-12-19 ASIA/PAKISTAN - Fr. Mendes: "Caritas volunteers and doctors are in danger because of the Taliban’s fury"
- 2012-12-19 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - President Aquino will sign the Reproductive Health Bill within the year. For the Church, "he is like a dictator"