AFRICA/CONGO DR - Growing insecurity in Kivu; tomorrow day of protest organized by civil society in Bukavu
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - A day of "dead city", with offices and shops closed to protest against the deterioration of the security situation, has been declared for tomorrow, October 31, by the Coordination of Civil Society in Bukavu, capital of South Kivu, in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo. According to a statement sent to Fides Agency, the protest was decided during a meeting held on October 27, which was attended by the various associations of the civil society who analyzed the security situation in North and South Kivu.
The picture that came out is worrying: the presence of various armed groups engaged in threats, extortion and violence against the population; kidnappings and assassinations of leaders and personalities; weakening of the authority of the State; impoverishment of the population ill-treated by taxes and often illegal abusive; employment, slow but progressive,of portions of the national territory by foreign groups or linked to external powers. In these days doctor Denis Mukwege, engaged for years in helping women victims of sexual violence, was forced to leave Bukavu, after having escaped an armed attack against his residence (see Fides 29/10/2012).
"Insecurity affects everyone, young and old, men and women," said the statement, which ends with this story: "I came to look for the slim, I did not say anything because I am not slim; they came to look for Christians, I did not say anything because I am not Christian; they came to look for the rich, I did not say anything because I am not rich. When they came looking for me, they took me away because there was no one to talk to. "(L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 30/10/2012)
- 2013-06-12 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Rebels and regular army officers united in the illicit trade of Congolese minerals
- 2013-06-08 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Don Apollinaire Malumalu elected President of the Independent National Electoral Commission
- 2013-06-07 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The UN denounces new violence against civilians in North Kivu
- 2013-05-23 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Tensions in North Kivu on the eve of Ban Ki-moon’s visit
- 2013-04-17 AFRICA/DR CONGO - Congo Caritas in charge of distributing the funds of the national collection for the east
- 2013-04-09 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The South African troops have withdrawn from Bangui in the north of the Congo. Ready for revenge?
- 2013-04-03 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Jesuits’ initiative against weapons that fuel the crisis in the Great Lakes Region
- 2013-03-25 AFRICA/DR CONGO - A secessionist group sows terror in Lubumbashi
- 2013-03-20 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Hopes and interrogatives after the surrender of Bosco Ntaganda,
- 2013-03-07 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Fighting continues in North Kivu despite the agreements in Addis Ababa