EUROPE/PORTUGAL - Catholic organizations denounce the social regression and the increase of poverty
Lisbon (Agenzia Fides) - "We note that a huge social decline is taking place, which affects especially the most vulnerable, leading to an increase of poverty, insecurity, violence and other social problems," is what is read in the statement on behalf of the Catholic Workers' Movement published by the Ecclesia Agency, of which a copy was sent to Fides Agency. The Association of Catholic workers and the Catholic Youth of Portugal have defined, in a joint statement, the proposed state budget promoted by the government for 2013 as "a great social regression". The League Movement of Catholic Workers (LOC), the Movement of Christian Workers (MTC) and the Catholic Youth Workers Movement (JOC) speak of "injustice" in the Government's proposal.
The document also criticizes the reduction of various social benefits: "the clear devaluation of human labor and the disregard for the rights of workers is obvious."
"These options violently attack the labor income and the poorest citizens; show an inability to fight corruption, tax fraud and promiscuity between private interests and public services; show irresponsibility in the financial management of the banking sector." The note concludes: "All of us, young people, adults, elderly and children, therefore, are aware of the reality we live in and we want to think of the values with which we want to build society and act consistently." (CE) (Agenzia Fides 30/10/2012)
- 2014-01-21 - The whole Church is involved in the problem of migration
- 2013-08-10 - National Migration Week, an opportunity to express faith and charity
- 2012-12-12 - Recognition of Parliament to Caritas, for the protection of social rights and the fight against poverty
- 2012-10-30 - Catholic organizations denounce the social regression and the increase of poverty
- 2011-10-05 - Volunteer Missionary: more than 1,130 youth and adults involved this year in carrying out projects in 4 continents
- 2011-09-29 - Solidarity, forgiveness, sharing: fourth national meeting of young people sponsored by the SVD
- 2011-08-18 - In the Year of Voluntary, the National Missionary Days on "Voluntary work and Mission"
- 2011-07-22 - Voluntary Missionary: 1,130 Portuguese around the world, many will spend their holidays in mission lands
- 2011-01-17 - Christian charity has a great evangelising force in the measure in which it leaves the sign of God's love among men
- 2010-10-21 - Message from Bishop of Setubal for World Mission Sunday: Catholics should not think Christianity is irrelevant for society