AMERICA/MEXICO - 31 000 children under 15 years of age are killed every year
Mexico City (Agenzia Fides) - There is still abuse against children and violence increases towards the weakest. In Mexico, the phenomenon of physical abuse against boys and girls, along with other forms of cruel and degrading punishment, is for the most part raised by parents, other family members and teachers. In the country there are 3 million minor workers and the World Health Organization indicates that each year about 31 000 children under 15 years of age die because of homicide. Through the Programa de Asuntos de la Niñez y la Familia, the National Commission of Human Rights of Mexico wants to promote and spread the knowledge of the human rights of 32 million and 500 thousand children living in the country, in order to establish a safer social environment . According to the data of international organizations in the world, violence against the child population affects more than a billion girls and boys. It is estimated that at least 150 million girls and 73 million boys are victims of forced sexual intercourse. With regard to the labor market, the International Labour Organization reported the involvement of 215 million children who are still minors, without a minimum wage, as well as 5 million 700 thousand forced to work in conditions of slavery. A recent study of this international organization reveals that in Mexico there are 1 million and 8,000 child victims of prostitution and 1 million 200 thousand victims of trafficking.
(AP) (Agenzia Fides 30/10/2012)
- 2013-06-17 AMERICA/MEXICO - "To burn people alive, film them and then sell the video is the sign of ethical decline"
- 2013-06-11 AMERICA/MEXICO - The disarmament campaign continues with the help of the Church: More than 5000 weapons recovered
- 2013-06-10 AMERICA/MEXICO - "Filing immigrants is a shame", denounces Fr. Solalinde
- 2013-06-05 AMERICA/MEXICO - "One cannot live in fear": the Bishops of Michoacan ask for everyone’s commitment
- 2013-06-04 AMERICA/MEXICO - Prayers for the truce between Honduran gangs in Mexico
- 2013-06-03 AMERICA/MEXICO - 2 migrants who had denounced extortion have been killed, the Church asks for protection
- 2013-05-22 AMERICA/MEXICO - The phenomenon of child labor increases in Yucatan
- 2013-05-21 AMERICA/MEXICO - "There is less violence, but there are still no social programs," said Mgr. Gallardo
- 2013-05-21 AMERICA/MEXICO - 18,000 street children exploited and at risk of physical, psychological and sexual violence
- 2013-05-16 AMERICA/MEXICO - Poverty and unemployment for about 13 million women