ASIA/BANGLADESH - More accurate and reliable data is needed in order to combat child trafficking
Dhaka (Agenzia Fides) - In Bangladesh the problem of child trafficking continues to worsen. According to aid workers, the problem is difficult to address because of the lack of data based. Every year there are thousands of reported cases of children victims of trafficking from Bangladesh to other countries. The only reliable statistics are those which refer to the number of children rescued each year and to open cases against the merchants of human beings who are convicted each year. According to the English NGO Plan International, in the last 10 years, about 200,000 Bengali girls were lured under false pretenses in the sex industry in neighboring countries, and are thought to be even more. There is not a lot of data available, so the police reports and the media are the main sources. In order to have reliable statistics, more accurate monitoring systems are needed. The government is making progress in data collection, trying to register online the birth data to combat early marriage. Moreover, in 2010 the government, in collaboration with UNICEF and Dhaka City Corporation established a toll-free number against child trafficking. Since 2011, according to the Aparajeyo Bangladesh, national organization to protect the rights of children, thanks to our toll free number 312 children have been saved. From what is reported in the 2012 report on human trafficking in the State Department of the United States, the young Bangladeshis are involved in sexual exploitation within the country, in domestic servitude, forced labor and begging. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 30/10/2012)
- 2014-05-05 - First nuclear power plant in the country?
- 2014-04-25 - An interactive documentary explores the living hell in Bangladesh's clothing industry
- 2014-02-17 - Jubilee of the mission in Pathorghata, "the port of stones"
- 2014-01-15 - Post- election violence: "Christians are not being targeted", says the Archbishop of Dhaka
- 2014-01-08 - The Archbishop of Dhaka: "Messengers of hope among violence and social confusion"
- 2013-12-21 - The year 2013 full of social conflict and human right abuses
- 2013-12-09 - Among social and political unrest, missionary activity continues
- 2013-11-26 - A new church in Dinajpur, a sign of rebirth at the conclusion of the Year of Faith
- 2013-06-07 - A seminary attacked "for unknown reasons," says the Bishop
- 2013-05-06 - Islamic radicals ravage Dhaka: Archbishop's appeal for peace