AFRICA/CONGO DR - The doctor who takes care of thousands of women victims of rapes in eastern DRC forced to flee
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - A Congolese doctor, working for years in taking care of victims of sexual violence in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, was forced to leave the area of his activities because his life was threatened. Dr. Denis Mukwege and his family left Bukavu, capital of South Kivu on 27 October, reports Radio Okapi, after escaping an attack against his home by an armed group, in which a military guard was killed.
Dr. Mukwege is the director of the hospital in Panzi, which provides free medical care and psychological assistance to the thousands of women who have suffered sexual violence in the region, where for years raging various armed groups harass civilians. One of the most heinous crimes is that of sexual violence, that does not spare anyone (see the study published by Fides Agency, cf. Fides 29/10/2007; also see Fides 08/09/2010 and 21/10/2010). For his humanitarian efforts, Dr. Mukwege has received several international awards. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 29/10/2012)
- 2013-04-17 AFRICA/DR CONGO - Congo Caritas in charge of distributing the funds of the national collection for the east
- 2013-04-09 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The South African troops have withdrawn from Bangui in the north of the Congo. Ready for revenge?
- 2013-04-03 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Jesuits’ initiative against weapons that fuel the crisis in the Great Lakes Region
- 2013-03-25 AFRICA/DR CONGO - A secessionist group sows terror in Lubumbashi
- 2013-03-20 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Hopes and interrogatives after the surrender of Bosco Ntaganda,
- 2013-03-07 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Fighting continues in North Kivu despite the agreements in Addis Ababa
- 2013-03-06 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The Addis Ababa Agreement greeted with suspicion by the Congolese but there is good news
- 2013-03-05 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The Bishops: "the respect for the constitutional order must be observed by all"
- 2013-03-01 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Violent clashes between factions of the M23
- 2013-02-25 AFRICA/ RD CONGO - “Integrate Framework Agreement for Congo” say NGOs