AMERICA/GUATEMALA - The UN Human Rights Council calls on Guatemala to protect journalists
Geneva (Agenzia Fides) - Seven States represented in the Human Rights Council of the United Nations (UN), including the representative of the Holy See, expressed their concern about the situation of vulnerability in which the press and the right to freedom of expression in Guatemala find themselves, calling on the authorities to take the necessary security mechanisms for journalists. According to the note on behalf of CELAM (Latin American Episcopal Council) sent to Fides Agency, the recommendation was made during the meeting called "UPR" (Universal Periodic Review), an organization of the Human Rights Council of the United Nations, which assesses the human rights situation in all countries: on Wednesday, October 24 the Guatemalan state was taken into account. The Vatican representative has asked the government to ensure that people have access to information, through an effective protection of journalists and the media.
The Holy See, in the intervention of their representative, noted that the Guatemalan press is threatened by the actions of organized crime groups and drug trafficking, and urged the authorities to promote special protection. In this session, Austria expressed concern about the impunity that surrounds cases of attacks and threats against journalists in Guatemala. Norway recommended an effective reform to the telecommunications Act in order to give legal recognition to community radio, so finally the indigenous peoples have access to the media. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 29/10/2012)
- 2013-05-06 AMERICA/GUATEMALA - Clashes on mining. "One must avoid violence and protect the rights of communities," says a Bishop
- 2013-04-29 AMERICA/GUATEMALA - Indifference of the government before violence, the bishops raise their voices recalling the open wounds
- 2013-02-26 AMERICA/GUATEMALA - Year of Faith: a pastoral Letter denouncing violence
- 2013-01-28 AMERICA/GUATEMALA - For the Bishops "the food crisis that affects thousands of Guatemalans is more serious than the financial crisis"
- 2013-01-16 AMERICA/GUATEMALA - "Do not kill": the Apostolic Administrator of Izabal invites the community not to take the law into their hands
- 2012-11-19 AMERICA/GUATEMALA - "The conflicts that the country experiences are still unresolved": Bishops' document on the situation
- 2012-11-10 AMERICA/GUATEMALA - Earthquake in Guatemala : 52 victims, the plan of aid and solidarity has begun
- 2012-11-08 AMERICA/GUATEMALA - Earthquake in Guatemala: 48 victims and 17,000 displaced
- 2012-11-05 AMERICA/GUATEMALA - Malnutrition, poverty and drought for thousands of women, children, indigenous and rural population
- 2012-10-31 AMERICA/GUATEMALA - About 2,300 children and young people missing since 2010 continue to still be absent at the roll-call