ASIA/SYRIA - The Orthodox priest kidnapped in Damascus found dead
Damascus (Agenzia Fides) - The body of the Greek-Orthodox priest Fr. Fadi Jamil Haddad, pastor of the church of St. Elias in Qatana, was found today in the Jaramana neighborhood (north of Damascus) not far from the place where he was kidnapped, on October 19, by unidentified armed group (see Fides 24/10/2012). This was confirmed to Fides by Fr. Haddad’s Greek-Orthodox confrere, who asked for anonymity. "His body was horribly tortured and his eyes gouged out," he told Fides. "It is a purely terrorist act. Fr. Haddad is a martyr of our church. "
With regards to the responsibilities of the terrible act there is an ongoing rebound of responsibilities between the opposition forces and government authorities, that accuse the armed gangs of armed rebellion in the army. According to Fides sources, the kidnappers had asked the priest’s family and his church a ransom of 50 million Syrian pounds (over 550 thousand euro). It was, however, impossible to find the money and meet this exorbitant demand. A source of Fides condemns "the terrible practice, present for months in this dirty war, of kidnapping and then killing innocent civilians."
Among the various Christian communities in Syria, the Greek-Orthodox is the largest (with about 500 thousand faithful) and is concentrated mainly in the western part of the country and in Damascus. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 25/10/2012)
- 2014-04-15 - A missile on an Armenian Catholic school: a child killed, 61 injured
- 2014-04-15 - Churches devastated and icons desecrated in Maalula
- 2014-04-14 - The government army regains control of the city of Maalula
- 2014-04-08 - "Difficult times will come". After the assassination of Father Van der Lugt, Christians continue to pray and reflect on martyrdom
- 2014-04-07 - A Jesuit Killed in Homs
- 2014-03-28 - Missile on an Armenian church in Aleppo during Mass
- 2014-03-25 - The Armenian Catholic Patriarch: the Christians who fled from Kessab have to deal with the emergency with a spirit of communion
- 2014-03-17 - Bishop Audo: war devastates the hearts; and the work of Caritas opens new fronts
- 2014-03-14 - Archbishop Nassar: signs of hope in our Lent spent in war
- 2014-03-12 - ASIA/SYRIA – In Aleppo, the Order of Malta inaugurates three new mobile clinics for refugees