AMERICA/PANAMA - "We repeat that only dialogue can resolve the conflict" Mgr.Ulloa calls for calm
Rome (Agenzia Fides) - The Archbishop of Panama, His Exc. Mgr. José Domingo Ulloa Mendieta, who is participating in the General Assembly of the Synod of Bishops at the Vatican, sent a message to the people of Panama, following the tragic events occurred in recent days in the city of Colon (see Fides 22/10/2012). "From Rome, we have followed with great concern the recent events in the city of Colon. Therefore we reiterate the call for dialogue made by Monsignor Audilio Aguilar, Bishop of the Diocese of Colón-Kuna Yala. We believe that, at the moment, the way to solve the problem is the dialogue carried out with tolerance and respect, in which we can all lay our personal interests and think especially for the common good of all Panamanians and for the common good of all the colonensi.
We repeat: the most effective means to solve problems is dialogue. Therefore we ask God to give us all the light that we need, and so that we can readily see peace and tranquility return in our beloved city of Colon."
After the riots on October 19, which caused the death of a child, a dozen wounded and many arrests, violence continued even on Monday, October 22 at different points of the city of Colon, where a general strike against the approval of the law that allows the sale of land in the ZLC (Zona Libre de Colón), the largest of all America was being held. Unfortunately agencies inform of a woman who died from a blow of a firearm and a hundred were stopped. The President of Panama is willing to reconsider the contested law. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 24/10/2012)
- 2013-03-09 AMERICA/PANAMA - The "Electoral Ethics Pact" promoted by the Church signed by the parties, not by the government
- 2013-03-05 AMERICA/PANAMA - "Do not give support to candidates who do not sign the Electoral Ethics Pact" insists the Church
- 2013-02-21 AMERICA/PANAMA - No to text changes in Electoral Ethics Pact
- 2013-01-31 AMERICA/PANAMA - The "Electoral Ethics Pact" text to defend democracy, mutual respect is ready
- 2013-01-11 AMERICA/PANAMA - Bishops denounce the "growing social disillusionment " and propose public education as a basis for development
- 2012-12-12 AMERICA/PANAMA - The Catholic Church mediates between firemen and government authorities
- 2012-12-03 AMERICA/PANAMA - Archbishop Ulloa is the new President of SEDAC
- 2012-11-30 AMERICA/PANAMA - The 500th anniversary of the first diocese: Cardinal Ouellet meets with the President of Panama; Santa Maria La Antigua’s story on the web
- 2012-11-28 AMERICA/PANAMA - Meeting of the Bishops of Central America, today the opening of the Jubilee Year for the 500th anniversary of the first diocese
- 2012-11-07 AMERICA/PANAMA - A minute of prayer for Panama across the country, dialogue in Colon reopens