AMERICA/CHILE - One hundred thousand young people at the pilgrimage of Santa Teresa de Los Andes: "You must be proud of being Christians," exhorts the Archbishop of Santiago
Santiago (Agenzia Fides) - More than 100,000 people, mostly young people took part on Saturday, October 20 at pilgrimage to the Shrine of Santa Teresa de Los Andes, covering some 27 km from the town of Chacabuco to the "Sanctuary of Carmelita."
This 22nd edition of the pilgrimage ended with a Eucharistic celebration presided by His Exc. Mgr. Ricardo Ezzati, Archbishop of Santiago, who told the young people that the Church has confidence in them to build a more fraternal Chile.
"You must be proud of being a Christian, this is the Church that Christ wants. Only Christ gives a deeper and true meaning to man who walks. Let us become people with an open heart, which grows only if this is done together with others; only in this way development will have a human face, " said the Archbishop in his homily. The note sent to Fides Agency stresses that the Archbishop invited all to live this Year of Faith engaged in the "Youth Mission" (see Fides 02/10/2012).
From 4 am until the hour of Mass, 5 pm, more than a thousand volunteers indicated the path to the pilgrims, while a hundred police closed the highway 57 to allow the passage of one hundred thousand young people.
The annual pilgrimage to the Shrine of Santa Teresa de Los Andes is one of the most felt and national events with wide participation of young people. Along the way 12 stops to reflect, pray and sing were made. What struck most were the moments of silence, during which the pilgrims walked in silence, each holding a colored cross with a written prayer intention. "I am here for my studies", "I pray for my father’s health," "For the cause of the Mapuches," "I would like to study at the University," "I pray that in Chile there is justice," "Because I want to express my Catholic faith in public "are some of the answers given by the young people who participated in the pilgrimage, when asked about the reason for their presence. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 22/10/2012)
- 2013-06-14 AMERICA/CHILE - Campaign in favor of the elderly with financial difficulties
- 2013-06-12 AMERICA/CHILE - Second National Ecclesial Assembly: Recognize the signs of the times beside the poor
- 2013-05-29 AMERICA/CHILE - Complaint by a religious group for violence against Mapuche children
- 2013-05-21 AMERICA/CHILE - "Chile has a debt with the Mapuche community," said Msg. Vial in his greetings to the community
- 2013-05-18 AMERICA/CHILE - "Candidates need to impress people with a real project," said the Bishop of Rancagua
- 2013-04-30 AMERICA/CHILE - Family, education, entrepreneurship: Pastoral Letter to the Chilean politicians in view of the presidential elections
- 2013-04-15 AMERICA/CHILE - "Family, public education and well-paid job," the concern of the Church
- 2013-04-05 AMERICA/CHILE - Less Catholics in the country, "a fact that cannot leave us indifferent," says the Church
- 2013-03-07 AMERICA/CHILE - Education should become a benefit for everyone is what the Bishop of Rancagua hopes
- 2013-02-26 AMERICA/CHILE - The Community of Santiago greets the first missionary of St. Colombano in Chile