ASIA/PHILIPPINES - Hope and dignified life for 600 children and adults with disabilities
Manila (Agenzia Fides) - The list of children and adults physically and mentally disabled in the Philippines is heavy. There are 600 young children and adults affected by different disabilities assisted at the center Elsie Gaches in Manila, run by the Sisters of Charity of St. Anne. Most have been abandoned, some gathered in the streets, all from very poor families who did not know what to do. The institute, the only one in the country that takes care of the disabled, 7 women religious and 170 professionals and collaborators work. Every little progress, a smile, a few steps, learning the alphabet or numbers are celebrated as a feast, and the sisters emphasize, to obtain these results and give children hope and a worthy future, solidarity is needed, even to face every day with so many needs such as food, clothing, medicines and therapies, as well as the salaries of the collaborators. So many children, so many stories. Near the center, one can see huge clusters of slums in contrast with the skyscrapers. It is not easy for the sisters, but their sole purpose is that they can live with dignity. In a context of extreme poverty, since 1994, the center has been focusing on this segment of the population, particularly vulnerable: some have come from situations of "imprisonment" in the family, living in segregated or completely abandoned situations. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 22/10/2012)
- 2013-04-25 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - Bishops' Appeal: "Cherish the earth to save Mindanao"
- 2013-04-24 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - The religious: " Government insufficient on ecology, human rights, corruption, land reform"
- 2013-04-16 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - General Elections: the Church traces the identikit of the "good candidate"
- 2013-03-04 ASIA/PHILIPPINES – The activist killed in Boracay was a lay Catholic of the Vincentian Family
- 2013-02-28 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - The Church next to the tribals, in the face of abuses in the tourist paradise of Boracay
- 2013-01-30 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - The Bishops on the upcoming elections: we need a law against political dynasties
- 2013-01-22 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - The typhoon also has an impact on maternal and child health
- 2013-01-14 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - Schools reopen after the typhoon but there is still no electricity
- 2012-12-19 ASIA/PAKISTAN - Fr. Mendes: "Caritas volunteers and doctors are in danger because of the Taliban’s fury"
- 2012-12-19 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - President Aquino will sign the Reproductive Health Bill within the year. For the Church, "he is like a dictator"