OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - Catholic Mission: To restore hope to the people of the Philippines devastated by the Typhoon Ondoy
Sydney (Agenzia Fides) - In all the parishes and dioceses of Australia, World Mission Day, October 21 will lead to a particular commitment for the Pontifical Mission Societies in the country (Catholic Mission Australia). Martin Teulan, National Director of Catholic Mission Australia, has proposed the theme of the Day "Restore Hope, Share Grace." It is an appeal with which one wants to emphasize the main goal of this year: to restore hope to the Filipino people of Sitio Ronggot who, in 2009, lost their homes and all kinds of livelihood as a result of typhoon Ondoy that flooded the entire village. Torrential rains flooded homes and population for three long months.
Thanks to the tireless efforts of the missionary Sister Maureen Cejas, supported by the local Catholic Church and the Catholic Mission Australia, the residents of Sitio Ronggot have begun to slowly rebuild their lives. The transfer of population from the village of Sitio Ronggot to Canossa Galvaville is already well under way, the land here is higher, houses are newly built and a multi-purpose chapel is being completed "Although Catholic Mission is not primarily an emergency fund, as soon as the typhoon Ondoy hit the country, our missionaries like Sister Maureen, immediately offered spiritual and pastoral assistance, including food, clothing, emergency shelter and medicines," is what is said in a note sent to Fides Agency by the National Director. Teulan recently went to visit Sister Maureen and saw how the people of the devastated village are getting accustomed in their new homes and are beginning to overcome the period of despair. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 19/10/2012)
- 2014-02-10 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - Inhumane conditions for children held in detention centers for immigrants
- 2013-12-05 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - The Australian Bishops are committed to spreading the Evangelii gaudium
- 2013-07-10 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - Compassion towards immigrants: young Australians welcome Pope Francis’ appeal
- 2013-05-20 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - New project against trafficking and child labor in India
- 2013-02-22 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - Government tells Churches "homosexuals must not be discriminated against in social service"
- 2012-12-20 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - New Catholic schools are born, enrollment increases
- 2012-11-26 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - "We oppose the policy of prolonged detention of asylum seekers and we are particularly concerned about the children": Council’s appeal for social justice
- 2012-10-19 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - Catholic Mission: To restore hope to the people of the Philippines devastated by the Typhoon Ondoy
- 2012-04-26 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA-Campaign of the Pontifical Mission Societies of Australia for Ethiopia's population
- 2012-03-29 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - The support of the Australian Catholic to 195 dioceses in 38 nations through Catholic Mission