OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - Catholic Mission: To restore hope to the people of the Philippines devastated by the Typhoon Ondoy
Sydney (Agenzia Fides) - In all the parishes and dioceses of Australia, World Mission Day, October 21 will lead to a particular commitment for the Pontifical Mission Societies in the country (Catholic Mission Australia). Martin Teulan, National Director of Catholic Mission Australia, has proposed the theme of the Day "Restore Hope, Share Grace." It is an appeal with which one wants to emphasize the main goal of this year: to restore hope to the Filipino people of Sitio Ronggot who, in 2009, lost their homes and all kinds of livelihood as a result of typhoon Ondoy that flooded the entire village. Torrential rains flooded homes and population for three long months.
Thanks to the tireless efforts of the missionary Sister Maureen Cejas, supported by the local Catholic Church and the Catholic Mission Australia, the residents of Sitio Ronggot have begun to slowly rebuild their lives. The transfer of population from the village of Sitio Ronggot to Canossa Galvaville is already well under way, the land here is higher, houses are newly built and a multi-purpose chapel is being completed "Although Catholic Mission is not primarily an emergency fund, as soon as the typhoon Ondoy hit the country, our missionaries like Sister Maureen, immediately offered spiritual and pastoral assistance, including food, clothing, emergency shelter and medicines," is what is said in a note sent to Fides Agency by the National Director. Teulan recently went to visit Sister Maureen and saw how the people of the devastated village are getting accustomed in their new homes and are beginning to overcome the period of despair. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 19/10/2012)
- 2015-09-01 - Appeal to release children detained in the center for immigrants in Nauru
- 2015-07-01 - Twenty years of commitment to the reception of migrants
- 2015-06-05 - The Episcopal Commission for Migrants: "Take action to help the persecuted Rohingya"
- 2015-03-23 - Australian Catholic schools against bullying
- 2015-03-17 - Appeal for the victims of Cyclone Pam: 54 000 children affected
- 2015-02-13 - "Free the Children" campaign for the release of immigrant children held in prison
- 2015-02-06 - OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA – One hundred years of Thomas Merton
- 2014-10-30 - Catholic Mission calls for the support of Australians in order to feed the hungry, malnourished and sick Peruvian children
- 2014-10-02 - Jamaica and children who are detained demand attention: Mission Month is a unique opportunity
- 2014-08-01 - 49% of mothers and pregnant women are discriminated in their workplace