AMERICA/MEXICO - "It is time to make a quantum leap to promote, support and assist the laity," said Mgr. Aguiar Retes
Rome (Agenzia Fides) - The President of the Mexican Episcopal Conference (CEM), His Exc. Mgr. Carlos Aguiar Retes, speaking with journalists during a break of the Synod of Bishops on the New Evangelization which he is attending, showed that one of the priorities of the Church in Mexico is to reach and allow those Catholics who have strayed away to come back again. The Archbishop of Tlalnepantla reported that in Latin America the Catholic dioceses have thousands of faithful "pastoral operators" devoted to various pastoral activities, but they have not yet influence in society, despite their large numbers.
"The Church has grown a lot in the last 50 years, but it is time to make the quantum leap to promote, support and assist the laity in making the Gospel present in their places of living, working and professional life. We are just at the beginning," said the Archbishop. Mgr. Aguiar noted that bringing Catholics to be present in the world of politics, economy, business, trade unions, hospitals ... the faithful who have strayed will become conscious of their spiritual identity. In this respect it will be necessary for the Church to change mentality, for priests not to continue to use past methods, for a 'pastoral conservation'."
The Archbishop concluded by pointing out that "in 1910, 90 percent of the population lived in the countryside, in small communities, while 10 percent lived in cities. Nearly 100 years later, in 2010, the situation has completely changed. Almost 90 percent live in the city, while a few still live in the country. This means that it is necessary to change many strategies, methods used by the Church must change towards new conditions." (CE) (Agenzia Fides 19/10/2012)
- 2013-05-16 AMERICA/MEXICO - Poverty and unemployment for about 13 million women
- 2013-05-14 AMERICA/MEXICO - "Do not use the church for political interests," warns the Bishop of Veracruz
- 2013-05-11 AMERICA/MEXICO – Bishop’s appeal for dialogue in order to resolve the teachers’ strike
- 2013-05-10 AMERICA/MEXICO - Today the funeral of the 24 who died in the fire, Pope Francis united in prayer for the tragedy
- 2013-05-06 AMERICA/MEXICO - Persecution against migrants increases, Mgr. Arizmendi’s complaint
- 2013-05-02 AMERICA/MEXICO - Poverty is treated with a supportive economy
- 2013-04-30 AMERICA/MEXICO - Four priests lose their lives in a tragic accident
- 2013-04-26 AMERICA/MEXICO - Drug addiction, HIV, salmonella, tuberculosis: street children’s health at risk
- 2013-04-17 AMERICA/MEXICO - Torture, rape and disappearances for a total of 48,300 missing persons
- 2013-04-11 AMERICA/MEXICO - A casino in front of the Church: the Bishop opposes