EUROPE/SPAIN - "There is no mission without missionaries": 14,000 Spanish missionaries in the world
Madrid (Agenzia Fides) - World Mission Day is celebrated on Sunday, October 21 also in the whole of Spain, known under the name of "Domund." The National Director of the Pontifical Mission Societies (PMS) of Spain, Fr. Anastasio Gil, sent to Fides Agency a copy of the material prepared for the occasion, which was distributed for the preparation and celebration of Domund. Fr. Gil commends the important work carried out by the 69 delegates for the missions in the Spanish dioceses, which allow both direct contact with the 14,000 Spanish missionaries who are devoting their lives to proclaim the Gospel in the world, and with their families. Every summer there are about 10,000 Spanish youth participating in one of the many experiences of mission. Fr. Gil also points out that the missionaries are able to better manage and with success the few possessions they receive: this was the inspiration for the slogan of the campaign this year. The novelty of this campaign is the use of multimedia. The first video, titled "Heroes do not exist," wants to spread through social network a clear message about the real work of the missionary. The second video, "The missionary replies," proposes some fundamental questions about the life of the missionary through a fictional story that could be real. Spain has sent into the world 14,000 missionaries who work in America (70.8%), Africa (13.8%), Europe (8.9%), Asia (6.2%) and Oceania (0.2%) . (CE) (Agenzia Fides 19/10/2012)
- 2015-03-02 - Not always employment is the way out of social exclusion
- 2015-02-26 - Despite the crisis, the PMS in Spain has increased the support for missions by 20%
- 2015-02-13 - "The way we treat immigrants today will leave a mark in our history"
- 2015-01-09 - Bishops appeal to the government: listen to immigrants before expelling them
- 2014-12-04 - EUROPE/SPAIN – Fund raising Christmas markets in aid of HIV positive and abused children in Zimbabwe
- 2014-12-04 - EUROPE/SPAIN – Missionaries victims of Ebola: we remember our missionaries, what they do and for whom they work
- 2014-10-31 - Alarm tuberculosis: outdated policies will not be able to stop the peak of TB drug-resistant strains
- 2014-10-31 - Caritas Spain receives an award "for the defense of the rights of the people"
- 2014-10-23 - Every year 100,000 Christians die because of religious persecution
- 2014-10-23 - Concerned about "our" problems, while thousands of people die every day