EUROPE/SPAIN - "There is no mission without missionaries": 14,000 Spanish missionaries in the world
Madrid (Agenzia Fides) - World Mission Day is celebrated on Sunday, October 21 also in the whole of Spain, known under the name of "Domund." The National Director of the Pontifical Mission Societies (PMS) of Spain, Fr. Anastasio Gil, sent to Fides Agency a copy of the material prepared for the occasion, which was distributed for the preparation and celebration of Domund. Fr. Gil commends the important work carried out by the 69 delegates for the missions in the Spanish dioceses, which allow both direct contact with the 14,000 Spanish missionaries who are devoting their lives to proclaim the Gospel in the world, and with their families. Every summer there are about 10,000 Spanish youth participating in one of the many experiences of mission. Fr. Gil also points out that the missionaries are able to better manage and with success the few possessions they receive: this was the inspiration for the slogan of the campaign this year. The novelty of this campaign is the use of multimedia. The first video, titled "Heroes do not exist," wants to spread through social network a clear message about the real work of the missionary. The second video, "The missionary replies," proposes some fundamental questions about the life of the missionary through a fictional story that could be real. Spain has sent into the world 14,000 missionaries who work in America (70.8%), Africa (13.8%), Europe (8.9%), Asia (6.2%) and Oceania (0.2%) . (CE) (Agenzia Fides 19/10/2012)
- 2015-05-21 - Hunger is not inevitable: 350 thousand children in the world against child malnutrition
- 2015-05-21 - Support for an alternative model for the regional economy developed by Caritas
- 2015-05-13 - Minerals, cause of conflicts in the world: NGOs ask the EU for "a strong law"
- 2015-04-24 - Migrants: disappointment for the CIE Regulation, approved a year ago and still unrealized
- 2015-04-21 - The Bishops in assembly: Mission, emigration and social crisis
- 2015-03-31 - UNHCR report: Almost 6000 applications for asylum in Spain in 2014
- 2015-03-25 - March 26: Day of Prayer for Peace in the fifth centenary of Saint Teresa
- 2015-03-20 - Every minute a child dies due to lack of drinking water
- 2015-03-16 - Pastor of the Shrine of Virxe do Cristal killed
- 2015-03-10 - Migration: "The Church is the critical conscience before the authorities"