AMERICA/MEXICO - The "Caravan of mothers" in search of their children arrived in Mexico
Tenosique (Agenzia Fides) – The "caravan of mothers" of Central America arrived in the Mexican territory, and on the very same day, according to news agencies, there was the first meeting of a Honduran with his parents, after nine years of separation and silence. The caravan has been held every year since 2006, and collects the mothers of Central American countries who go in search of the emigrated children in Mexico to reach the United States, and have not been heard of since, hoping to find them. At the same time the mothers urge the authorities to stop the attacks against undocumented immigrants that take place in Mexico.
This year there are about 45 mothers from Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador and Nicaragua, who arrive in Mexico from Guatemala across the border of El Ceibo (see Fides 13/10/2012). Crossing the Mexican state of Tabasco (southeast), on Monday, 15 October they reached the town of Tenosique. According to the testimony of the representative of the "Movimiento de Migrantes Mesoamerican" (MMM), Martha Sanchez, the caravan was welcomed by a group of activists with "an embrace of hope and sorrow" for illegal immigrants who are victims of violence when they cross Mexico. The mothers then participated in a Mass celebrated by the priest Fray Tomas, head of the refuge for immigrants "LA 72", then they started their journey again that will last 19 days and pass through 23 cities in 14 Mexican states, and ends on November 3 in Ciudad Hidalgo in Chiapas. The note sent to Fides points out that the caravan also includes a stop in hospitals, morgues and in public places.
Ruben Figueroa, coordinator of the caravan, after a lot of research last year was able to trace the families of four people identified as participants in the last carovan. "The result recognizes the enormous effort made by these poor women, who did not hesitate to leave their villages in search of their children," said Martha Sanchez. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 17/10/2012)
- 2013-05-22 AMERICA/MEXICO - The phenomenon of child labor increases in Yucatan
- 2013-05-21 AMERICA/MEXICO - "There is less violence, but there are still no social programs," said Mgr. Gallardo
- 2013-05-21 AMERICA/MEXICO - 18,000 street children exploited and at risk of physical, psychological and sexual violence
- 2013-05-16 AMERICA/MEXICO - Poverty and unemployment for about 13 million women
- 2013-05-14 AMERICA/MEXICO - "Do not use the church for political interests," warns the Bishop of Veracruz
- 2013-05-11 AMERICA/MEXICO – Bishop’s appeal for dialogue in order to resolve the teachers’ strike
- 2013-05-10 AMERICA/MEXICO - Today the funeral of the 24 who died in the fire, Pope Francis united in prayer for the tragedy
- 2013-05-06 AMERICA/MEXICO - Persecution against migrants increases, Mgr. Arizmendi’s complaint
- 2013-05-02 AMERICA/MEXICO - Poverty is treated with a supportive economy
- 2013-04-30 AMERICA/MEXICO - Four priests lose their lives in a tragic accident