AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Immense destruction in Abyei, a complaint by an Archbishop
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - Archbishop Daniel Deng Bul, of the Episcopal Church of the Sudan (ECS), was shocked to see the level of destruction carried out by the Sudanese army in the town of Abyei, disputed between Sudan and South Sudan. This was reported by the Archbishop himself after returning from a visit to Abyei, in an interview with Catholic Bakhita Radio. According to Bishop Deng the military in Khartoum, that occupy the city, destroyed government offices, churches, schools and homes. The mosque is the only building left standing in Abyei, said the religious leader.
Mgr. Deng questioned the rationality of the Sudanese army in destroying churches and schools, leaving the mosque standing, and whether the military in Khartoum intend to drag the two countries into religious conflict. The fate of Abyei, an oil-rich area on the boundary between the two States, remains one of the issues left unresolved by the Agreement signed by Sudan and South Sudan on 27 September in Addis Ababa (Ethiopia), which regulates in particular the division of the proceeds of oil, extracted in Southern Sudan and exported through the Sudanese structures. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 17/10/2012)
- 2015-04-01 - "Stop the war immediately. If the parties are unable to reach agreement by themselves, then they must be persuaded to accept a solution" say Christian leaders
- 2015-03-24 - "Inexperience and corruption are the cause of civil war" says the Bishop of Wau
- 2015-03-11 - The suffering of the population will increase with the war; the Church is making huge efforts
- 2015-03-10 - The civil war is likely to resume after the failure of Negotiations
- 2015-02-26 - A simple ambulance service can save the lives of hundreds of mothers and children
- 2015-02-19 - Elections postponed: a contribution towards peace
- 2015-02-10 - The UN: over 2.5 million people face food emergency because of the civil war
- 2015-02-04 - Year of Consecrated Life: Religious committed to healing the wounds of the Civil War
- 2015-01-30 - The Bishops denounce: "Land grabbing threatens the stability of the Country"
- 2015-01-16 - The importance of "true hospitality" towards refugees