EUROPE/SPAIN - For a just world, interest towards people must prevail over economics
Madrid (Agenzia Fides) - In the world there are still 1 million 300 thousand people who continue to live in extreme poverty, and nearly 850 million suffer from hunger, inequality and discrimination between one country and another also continues to increase. On the occasion of International Day for the Eradication of Poverty, which is celebrated today, October 17th, the Spanish Catholic organization Manos Unidas, which has as its main objective the fight against hunger and what causes it, common efforts join to transform poverty and hunger in memories of the past. There is great concern for the future because for 2030 at least 50% more food, 45% more energy power and 30% more water will be needed. In addition, there are threats of new global food crisis caused by drought, speculation on food and the purchase of land in poor countries by foreign States and large agribusiness corporations. To build a more just world, it is necessary that the interest towards the people prevails over economics and politics. It is necessary to live on the basis of essential values such as solidarity and justice. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 17/10/2012)
- 2015-09-23 - International Day against human trafficking
- 2015-07-23 - Trafficking of human persons, "flourishing business on the increase”
- 2015-07-17 - Priest stabbed to death on the doorstep
- 2015-07-07 - Cardinal Filoni in Burgos: "Can we say that the people of God today are missionary people?"
- 2015-05-21 - Hunger is not inevitable: 350 thousand children in the world against child malnutrition
- 2015-05-21 - Support for an alternative model for the regional economy developed by Caritas
- 2015-05-13 - Minerals, cause of conflicts in the world: NGOs ask the EU for "a strong law"
- 2015-04-24 - Migrants: disappointment for the CIE Regulation, approved a year ago and still unrealized
- 2015-04-21 - The Bishops in assembly: Mission, emigration and social crisis
- 2015-03-31 - UNHCR report: Almost 6000 applications for asylum in Spain in 2014