EUROPE/SPAIN - For a just world, interest towards people must prevail over economics
Madrid (Agenzia Fides) - In the world there are still 1 million 300 thousand people who continue to live in extreme poverty, and nearly 850 million suffer from hunger, inequality and discrimination between one country and another also continues to increase. On the occasion of International Day for the Eradication of Poverty, which is celebrated today, October 17th, the Spanish Catholic organization Manos Unidas, which has as its main objective the fight against hunger and what causes it, common efforts join to transform poverty and hunger in memories of the past. There is great concern for the future because for 2030 at least 50% more food, 45% more energy power and 30% more water will be needed. In addition, there are threats of new global food crisis caused by drought, speculation on food and the purchase of land in poor countries by foreign States and large agribusiness corporations. To build a more just world, it is necessary that the interest towards the people prevails over economics and politics. It is necessary to live on the basis of essential values such as solidarity and justice. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 17/10/2012)
- 2015-04-21 - The Bishops in assembly: Mission, emigration and social crisis
- 2015-03-31 - UNHCR report: Almost 6000 applications for asylum in Spain in 2014
- 2015-03-25 - March 26: Day of Prayer for Peace in the fifth centenary of Saint Teresa
- 2015-03-20 - Every minute a child dies due to lack of drinking water
- 2015-03-16 - Pastor of the Shrine of Virxe do Cristal killed
- 2015-03-10 - Migration: "The Church is the critical conscience before the authorities"
- 2015-03-02 - Not always employment is the way out of social exclusion
- 2015-02-26 - Despite the crisis, the PMS in Spain has increased the support for missions by 20%
- 2015-02-13 - "The way we treat immigrants today will leave a mark in our history"
- 2015-01-09 - Bishops appeal to the government: listen to immigrants before expelling them