ASIA/SINGAPORE - An orphanage in Laos and a school in Vietnam: two projects for disadvantaged children
Singapore (Agenzia Fides) - A group of seven Swedish professionals have founded the charity organization Together for Charity in Singapore. These are married women, expatriated from their country of origin, who have become aware of the extremely privileged situation they live in Singapore compared to neighboring countries, and have decided to commit themselves to changing this reality with the aim of improving the lives of disadvantaged children. Together for Charity currently focuses its help in two projects. One concerns the Deak Kum Pa orphanage in Luang Prabang, Laos, and the other the English School of Mui Ne, in Vietnam. The orphanage is run by the government of Laos. Children are taken from the streets and from situations of extreme poverty, they are offered the opportunity to go to school and live in safety and in comfortable surroundings. Deak Kum Pa receives more than 500 children, but their number continues to increase. The orphanage also functions as a school. One of the first concerns is food supply, as with a plate of rice and a soup a day the little ones are not in a position to grow or to learn. Currently they regularly eat meat, fruit, eggs and bread. Thanks to the support of generous benefactors, in 2012, another 30 children were admitted. The English School of Mui Ne, in Vietnam, offers the young ones, among the poorest in the city, the opportunity to learn English, in order to enable them to earn a living in the future in the growing tourism industry. In addition to English lessons and elements of computer science, the school also teaches friendship and interchange. Mui Ne also has a second home, a home for students in Phan Thiet, adjacent to Mui Ne. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 16/10/2012)
- 2015-08-19 - Cardinal Parolin: "Proclamation of the Gospel in a changing society"
- 2015-07-08 - Archbishop Goh to Muslims: "We are 'just one thing' in God"
- 2015-03-24 - A missionary: "Lee Kuan Yew, a man of dialogue and religious harmony"
- 2014-10-09 - "May the elections on 12 October bear positive fruits" hope the Bishops
- 2014-09-22 - Archbishop Goh: "The centrality of the family to overcome secularization"
- 2014-05-19 - year plan for the Church: God's Word at the center and New Evangelization
- 2014-04-16 - Archbishop Goh: Easter invites us to "proclaim the Gospel with joy and passion"
- 2014-03-07 - "Time of compassion": Archbishop Goh’s message for Lent
- 2014-02-18 - Archbishop Goh: "Sanctify work with prayer"
- 2014-01-10 - "Accompanying and evangelizing young people" : Archbishop Goh’s Message