AMERICA/VENEZUELA - In the Year of Faith: the 90th anniversary of the Diocese of San Cristóbal
San Cristóbal (Agenzia Fides) - The Diocese of San Cristobal in Venezuela celebrates its 90 years, having been established on 12 October 1922 by Pope Pius XI, with the Apostolic Constitution "Ad Munus." The note sent to Fides Agency reports that the Jubilee Year for the Anniversary of the Diocese will be celebrated with various pastoral initiatives from 12 October 2012 to 23 November 2013, coinciding therefore with the Year of Faith.
The Diocese occupies the territory of the state of Tachira, on the border with Colombia, and has an area of 11,100 km2. There are 86 parishes, about 160 priests, a diocesan seminary with 370 seminarians, four religious seminaries, Catholic University, a university an ecclesiastical university institute, a Catholic newspaper, and a Catholic radio station, in addition to the presence of different religious communities that contribute to evangelization.
The Bishop of the diocese, His Exc. Mgr. Mario Moronta, who is participating these days at the XIII General Assembly of the Synod of Bishops held in the Vatican, sent a message to his faithful asking them to "reaffirm the sense of belonging to the Church, in communion with the Holy Father and the Universal Church, to strengthen our Christian witness in order to show our service of charity towards all, especially towards the poor." (CE) (Agenzia Fides 15/10/2012)
- 2015-08-12 - No social communications no democracy Bishop Lückert León speaks about the media
- 2015-08-11 - Drugs are lacking in the country, some use those for animals
- 2015-08-07 - There are 10,000 participants attending the III Youth National Meeting
- 2015-08-06 - National meeting among the indigenous communities for the protection of human rights
- 2015-07-21 - The body of a Franciscan who died a few days has been found
- 2015-07-20 - Games, songs, dances: a feast to celebrate children
- 2015-07-10 - Catholic Bishops: "The Christian experience must have social consequences"
- 2015-07-07 - Mgr. Padrón: "Corruption, repression, popular discontent characterize the present"
- 2015-07-06 - 35,000 people have been isolated due to floods, other 25,000 at risk
- 2015-06-22 - Hunger strike in 12 states for political prisoners, the Church has been asked to intervene