AMERICA/VENEZUELA - In the Year of Faith: the 90th anniversary of the Diocese of San Cristóbal
San Cristóbal (Agenzia Fides) - The Diocese of San Cristobal in Venezuela celebrates its 90 years, having been established on 12 October 1922 by Pope Pius XI, with the Apostolic Constitution "Ad Munus." The note sent to Fides Agency reports that the Jubilee Year for the Anniversary of the Diocese will be celebrated with various pastoral initiatives from 12 October 2012 to 23 November 2013, coinciding therefore with the Year of Faith.
The Diocese occupies the territory of the state of Tachira, on the border with Colombia, and has an area of 11,100 km2. There are 86 parishes, about 160 priests, a diocesan seminary with 370 seminarians, four religious seminaries, Catholic University, a university an ecclesiastical university institute, a Catholic newspaper, and a Catholic radio station, in addition to the presence of different religious communities that contribute to evangelization.
The Bishop of the diocese, His Exc. Mgr. Mario Moronta, who is participating these days at the XIII General Assembly of the Synod of Bishops held in the Vatican, sent a message to his faithful asking them to "reaffirm the sense of belonging to the Church, in communion with the Holy Father and the Universal Church, to strengthen our Christian witness in order to show our service of charity towards all, especially towards the poor." (CE) (Agenzia Fides 15/10/2012)
- 2015-02-27 - The Bishops: "Stop murderous violence!"
- 2015-02-25 - More violence and protests: 6 dead in six days of demonstrations
- 2015-02-24 - Growing tension in the capital, Cardinal Urosa denounces murder of 3 students
- 2015-02-20 - Police arrest Mayor of Caracas, for Archbishop Lückert “proof of dictatorship ”
- 2015-01-31 - Four churches attacked in Mérida
- 2015-01-30 - Mgr. Parra robbed during a parish meeting: "Money is spent on many things, but not on safety"
- 2015-01-13 - Dialogue to end the crisis: the exhortation of the Episcopal Conference
- 2015-01-12 - Shops are empty: Cardinal Urosa calls on the government to act quickly and urges to remain calm
- 2015-01-08 - AMERICA/VENEZUELA – Assembly of Bishops: dialogue to end the crisis and the necessity to find agreed solutions
- 2014-12-06 - Poverty, few infrastructures and precarious preventive measures: fertile terrain for Chikungunya virus