AFRICA/CHAD - Expulsion of the Bishop of Doba: "there seems to be an opening attitude towards dialogue on behalf of the government"
N'Djamena (Agenzia Fides) - "There is an openness to dialogue on behalf of the government to resolve Mgr. Russo’s situation in a positive way" sources of the local church in N'Djamena, capital of Chad, say to Fides where local authorities have announced the expulsion of Mgr.Michele Russo, Bishop of Doba, because during a homily he had criticized the management of oil revenues in the Country denouncing an unfair distribution. Mgr. Russo is a missionary Bishop, Combonian, of Italian nationality.
"Mgr. Russo’s homily was broadcast by a local radio station, but in the translation from the French to the Ngambay language it gave a translation which does not perfectly comply with the Bishop’s words, using words that Mgr. Russo did not use" say our sources that conclude hoping for "the continuation of good relations between Church and State." (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 13/10/2012)
- 2013-01-02 AFRICA/CHAD - Mgr. Russo can return to Chad and guide the diocese of Doba
- 2012-10-31 AFRICA/CHAD - Catholic students ask the authorities to reconsider Mgr. Russo's expulsion
- 2012-10-18 AFRICA/CHAD - The children who emigrated finally reunited with their families
- 2012-10-13 AFRICA/CHAD - Expulsion of the Bishop of Doba: "there seems to be an opening attitude towards dialogue on behalf of the government"
- 2012-02-01 AFRICA/CHAD - Weapons and non-development: the law has not been applied that required to use the oil money for civilian purposes
- 2011-01-24 AFRICA/CHAD - A new project to guarantee potable water and limit the outbreak of cholera
- 2010-10-06 AFRICA/CHAD - Missionary Bishop launches appeal for Africa: “Stop taking advantage of riches without thinking of the welfare of Africans.”
- 2010-05-28 AFRICA/CHAD - In Sahel, millions of people at risk for starvation
- 2010-01-09 AFRICA/CHAD - “Religions should work for peace and reconciliation,” Bishops of Chad say