AMERICA/HONDURAS - Religious in politics: the pastor of the Cathedral of Tegucigalpa asks for the respect of the Constitution
Tegucigalpa (Agenzia Fides) - A Catholic priest, Father Carlo Magno Núñez, pastor of the Cathedral of Tegucigalpa, has asked the Supreme Electoral Tribunal (TSE) of Honduras, to uphold the Constitution of the Republic when it states that the religious cannot engage in policy. In an interview to a newspaper, the priest explains his initiative as a significant number of evangelical pastors, without leaving their position as pastors, candidated for political posts in the lists of popular representation of one of the three parties (Nacional, Liberal, Libertad y Refundacion) protagonists of the primary elections next 18 November. As father Charlo Magno Núñez says, only in one case the candidacy was authorized by the TSE because the person concerned has not been exercising his ministry as a pastor for a year. In the same interview, the priest says: "Many times we have given faith to politicians, because it is assumed that they want to change the situation in Honduras, but what they do is change the situation of there own family, not the country. We need people who love Honduras and not his own pocket." So, with regards to the pastors, he said:" They have to decide for one of two things, either dedicate themselves to religion as pastors or get involved in politics, because both together are incompatible."(CE ) (Agenzia Fides 12/10/2012)
- 2015-07-17 - Sexual abuse on children have repercussions in adulthood
- 2015-07-15 - A new ward for children suffering from dengue and chikungunya
- 2015-07-15 - Campaign of the diocese of San Pedro Sula: "An honest man is not corrupt"
- 2015-07-06 - Still demonstrations against corruption, while other scandals come to light
- 2015-07-03 - The Bishops offer their support to dialogue for social peace
- 2015-06-27 - The Church: "politics without corruption"
- 2015-05-21 - "With courage and more faith": Danilo Aceituno lived at the service of God and of the Church
- 2015-03-25 - Minors exploited and underpaid
- 2015-03-03 - There are 6000 teachers: one million children do not go to school
- 2015-02-03 - Card. Maradiaga supports the "Plan de la Alianza para la Prosperidad"