OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - Youth and Year of Faith: the Gospel to say "No" to drugs, alcohol and disorderly sex
Port Moresby (Agenzia Fides) - The Year of Faith for the young people of Papua New Guinea, "a powerful opportunity and an invitation to rediscover the Gospel to say 'No' to drugs, alcohol, libertinage and disorder in sexual matters ":this is what is said, in a message sent to Fides Agency, by Fr. Shanthi Puthussery, PIME, National Coordinator of the Youth Pastoral in the Episcopal Conference of Papua New Guinea.
Fr. Shanti focuses on the so-called "lost generation", ie the range of young people between 15 and 20 who, in the context of Papua, lives major social problems: "Many of these young people are already damaged and almost destroyed by the use of drugs, pornography, disorderly sexual relationships, the immoderate consumption of alcohol. I am not sure that the civil authorities are fully aware of the seriousness of these issues, but as Catholic Church, I believe we have a responsibility to promote formation activity for young people. The Year of Faith must be accompanied with social action and transformation of society."
"Otherwise - continues Fr. Shanti - the practices of faith remain empty and do not fill the gap in society and interpersonal relationships. We need to help young people to take seriously our teachings in order to change their life: which currently is very difficult for them. "
The priest lives continually in close contact with young people. After a recent experience of formation and prayer with young people in the community of Kavieng, Fr. Shanti says: "It was a terrible struggle. It seemed that they grew up without a life of prayer. The participation in the prayers and liturgies was just a routine. Young people have expressed the wish that parishes organize specific prayer programs, meditation on the Word of God, study of the Catechism of the Catholic Church." This, he concludes, will be the key objective of the Youth Pastoral in Papua in the Year of Faith. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 11/10/2012)
OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA
- 2013-11-29 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - The Church in the Pacific wants to be more present in the media
- 2013-11-18 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - Bishop Rolando Santos: "The light of faith to enlighten the lives of families"
- 2013-11-12 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - The family at the center of the Church's pastoral plan for the next five years
- 2013-11-06 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - The Church in the Pacific questions itself about the new evangelization
- 2013-11-05 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - The Church looks into the future: from the General Assembly a new pastoral plan
- 2013-08-27 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - Church calls for authentic alliance with the State, especially with regards to social policy
- 2013-07-26 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - The religious, voice and prophetic action in society
- 2013-07-23 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - The Church deplores the agreement between Australia and Papua New Guinea on refugees
- 2013-07-16 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - Prohibit non-Christian faiths? For the Church, it would be absurd
- 2013-07-09 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - Teenage pregnancies: the Church is alone in the prevention