ASIA/MYANMAR - For the Year of Faith Biblical prayer in families and catechism for young people
Yangon (Agenzia Fides) - Biblical prayer meetings organized within families; special sessions of catechism for young people, with the use of the subsidy "Youcat"; a monthly pastoral letter and prayer for the Year of Faith recited at the end of each Mass: these are some of the initiatives promoted by the Church of Myanmar for the Year of Faith.
As learned from Fides, this morning in the Archdiocese of Yangon, Archbishop Charles Maung Bo opened with a solemn Eucharistic celebration in the Cathedral, the Year of Faith. A white flag with the logo of the Year of Faith was run up in front of the Cathedral and will remain there throughout the year. During the celebration, which was attended by the clergy, religious and hundreds of laity, Archbishop Bo recalled the 50th anniversary of the Second Vatican Council, calling the Council "a window opened on the future." "In the Year of Faith - he noted - every believer is called first of all to give thanks to God for the gift of faith, to strengthen it and share it with others, especially with those who are weak and suffering, to build the Kingdom of God ".
The Archbishop also focused on the theme of peace and reconciliation: at a personal level, remembering that the Holy Father has granted a plenary indulgence and conditions to receive it; and at a social level, hoping for a full and final reconciliation in the nation, yet crossed by conflicts with ethnic minorities.
As reported to Fides by Mgr. Bo, in the Year of Faith special attention to young people and families will be given. Moreover, the different religious communities, ecclesial movements and associations will provide special sessions for study and analysis of the "Catechism of the Catholic Church", while, during the Year, special Days will be celebrated dedicated to vocations, catechists and missionaries. The Catholic faithful in Myanmar are about 690 thousand, just over 1% of the population, a total of 50.5 million inhabitants. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 11/10/2012)
- 2014-07-04 - Change starts from education, says the Archbishop of Mandalay
- 2014-06-13 - The proposed anti-conversion bill poses a threat to religious freedom
- 2014-06-10 - Three years of war and abuse on ethnic minorities: appeal for peace by civil society
- 2014-05-30 - ASIA/MYANMAR – Blessed father Vergara and Blessed Isidoro will give “impulse to vocations and to mission”
- 2014-05-13 - Hunger, malnutrition and debts for the population of the "dry zone"
- 2014-04-14 - The Archbishop of Yangon’s message: An Easter of reconciliation
- 2014-04-11 - New law on religious freedom? The Church disagrees
- 2014-03-31 - The Archbishop of Yangon: "The census is a golden opportunity for peace and development"
- 2014-03-04 - Health activities that the government had stopped resumes only in some centers
- 2014-03-03 - No medical care for: thirty thousand people with HIV/AIDS and over 3000 with tuberculosis