AMERICA/BOLIVIA - "Celebrating democracy means rejecting all forms of violence": the Bishops for the 30years of democracy
La Paz (Agenzia Fides) - Commemorating 30 years of uninterrupted democratic life in Bolivia, the Episcopal Conference issued a statement entitled "Bolivia, 30 years of democracy, justice and respect for all", a copy of which was sent to Fides Agency. "We have important reasons to celebrate the continuity of democracy. It is been 30 years since the end of authoritarian governments and supported by force of arms " begins the Bishops of Bolivia’s text of which we offer below some excerpts.
"We thank God and all those who fought in order to have it. As a Church we congratulate the whole Bolivian society for the recovery and the institutionalization of democracy and local self-governments, for the creation of the Defensor del Pueblo and the Courts of Justice, for the legislative initiative of the citizens, for the referendum, for the Constituent Assembly, among other accomplishments."
"A vision of the democratic process in Bolivia, however, would be incomplete if we did not stress the current threats, which affect the full exercise of democracy in Bolivia. Celebrating the achievements of democracy means maintaining an attitude of rejection of the comparison of Bolivians against Bolivians, and all forms of violence; it is the realization of fundamental human rights for education, health and self-determination of peoples. Therefore we ask all Bolivians to promote the culture of peace, dialogue, and reach agreements in the unit, for the development and prosperity for all."
"Thirty years of democracy in the midst of lights and shadows, are an important heritage that we must protect and preserve as the best legacy for future generations, in the challenge of building a more just, dignified, free and united society." The document is signed by the Secretary General of the Bolivian Episcopal Conference dated October 10, 2012. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 11/10/2012)
- 2013-04-29 AMERICA/BOLIVIA - Theft in the churches: Cardinal Terrazas responds to Morales
- 2013-04-19 AMERICA/BOLIVIA - A happy world for street children
- 2013-04-17 AMERICA/BOLIVIA - The Church in the TIPNIS, "a missionary presence committed to human promotion"
- 2013-04-15 AMERICA/BOLIVIA - Domestic violence for almost 83% of children in the country
- 2013-04-11 AMERICA/BOLIVIA - "A missionary Church always communicates the truth": 95th Assembly of Bishops
- 2013-01-18 AMERICA/BOLIVIA - The first indigenous Bishop consecrated in Santa Cruz: a man born, raised and formed in this land
- 2013-01-09 AMERICA/BOLIVIA - Clarification on the properties of the Apostolic Vicariate of Beni in TIPNIS
- 2012-12-06 AMERICA/BOLIVIA - Irregularities in the consultation of the Tipnis have been found
- 2012-11-29 AMERICA/BOLIVIA - Even the Catholic Church in the Inter-institutional Committee to prepare a report on the TIPNIS
- 2012-11-27 AMERICA/BOLIVIA - Malnutrition and lack of health care and hygiene for children who live with their parents in prisons