AMERICA/PERU - Human trafficking: 8 out of 10 victims are minors, a crime to fight
Puno (Agenzia Fides) - The Observatory on Crime of the Public Prosecutor reported that in Peru there were 1.112 reported cases of human trafficking from January 2008 to July 2012, and thus is considered as the second most lucrative crime for organized crime. The note sent to Fides Agency by Radio Onda Azul in Puno, reports that more than half of the complaints are concentrated in Lima, Madre de Dios, Loreto, Puno and Piura. In addition, eight out of 10 victims of trafficking are minors between 13 and 17 years of age, and 5 traffickers out of 10 are women. The Head Office of the Prosecutor said that the best way to deal with this reality is to carry out a full investigation into the crime, starting from the past, and stressed the importance of collaboration between the public prosecutor and the national police. For this type of crime the defendant may be sentenced to imprisonment from 8 to 15 years. The victims are used for the purposes of sexual or labor exploitation, for begging or organ trafficking. The Church has denounced this dramatic reality in different circumstances (see Fides 21/09/2012 and 25/08/2012), widespread especially in border areas. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 10/10/2012)
- 2015-01-27 - The Bishop of Chimbote asks protection for judges: "We are living in fear"
- 2015-01-22 - Mgr. Salvador Piñeiro re-elected President of the Episcopal Conference
- 2015-01-19 - Missionary Father Bachs has died, defender of the right to education of young people in need
- 2014-12-16 - Climate change: Christians in defense of the weak and of their suffering
- 2014-12-13 - Analysis of the socio-cultural impacts of mining and contribution of missionaries
- 2014-12-03 - COP 20: world meeting for climatic justice, churches together to care for creation
- 2014-11-15 - "Network for a Culture of meeting", also Cusco present at the XIII Meeting of RIIAL
- 2014-11-05 - The Bishops are always close to the 3 and a half million Peruvians away from home
- 2014-10-31 - Thousands of young people on pilgrimage instead of the "Feast of Hallowen"
- 2014-09-30 - How to prevent child labor and ensure adequate opportunities for growth