AMERICA/PERU - Human trafficking: 8 out of 10 victims are minors, a crime to fight
Puno (Agenzia Fides) - The Observatory on Crime of the Public Prosecutor reported that in Peru there were 1.112 reported cases of human trafficking from January 2008 to July 2012, and thus is considered as the second most lucrative crime for organized crime. The note sent to Fides Agency by Radio Onda Azul in Puno, reports that more than half of the complaints are concentrated in Lima, Madre de Dios, Loreto, Puno and Piura. In addition, eight out of 10 victims of trafficking are minors between 13 and 17 years of age, and 5 traffickers out of 10 are women. The Head Office of the Prosecutor said that the best way to deal with this reality is to carry out a full investigation into the crime, starting from the past, and stressed the importance of collaboration between the public prosecutor and the national police. For this type of crime the defendant may be sentenced to imprisonment from 8 to 15 years. The victims are used for the purposes of sexual or labor exploitation, for begging or organ trafficking. The Church has denounced this dramatic reality in different circumstances (see Fides 21/09/2012 and 25/08/2012), widespread especially in border areas. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 10/10/2012)
- 2015-12-01 - The beatification of three missionary martyrs: "Martyrs of faith and charity, witnesses of hope"
- 2015-11-24 - Preparations are underway for the beatification of the first missionary martyrs of Peru
- 2015-11-16 - Each year leukemia affects the health of 1,200 poor children
- 2015-11-10 - More than 3,000 participants at the III National Missionary Congress: to relaunch the missionary parish
- 2015-11-07 - The program for the beatification of three priests killed in 1991 by the Shining Path presented to Parliament
- 2015-10-30 - Annual report on Indigenous women and girls: victims of violence, atrocities and humiliations
- 2015-10-19 - Share the beauty of consecrated life with a testimony of joy
- 2015-10-07 - The preparation for the beatification of the three missionaries killed in 1991 continues
- 2015-09-24 - Mgr. Piorno to the authorities involved in court proceedings: "The best thing is to resign, for the tranquility of the population"
- 2015-09-08 - The Bishop of Chimbote: "the solution to insecurity is not lynching"