AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Chávez re-elected President, the Church invites him to the feast of Our Lady of Chiquinquirá
Caracas (Agenzia Fides) - Hugo Chávez Frías, with 54.42% of the vote (according to the local press) won the presidential election, whereas Henrique Capriles, managed to obtain 44.97%. Hugo Chávez was re-elected president and will hold the post until 2019.
The Catholic Church had asked the population to participate actively in the elections, with the hope of one day of peace and without violence (see Fides 28/09/2012). The Rector of the Basilica of Our Lady of Chiquinquirá, in Maracaibo, Father Eleuterio Cuevas said on Saturday, October 6, that "whoever is elected President in the elections, will be formally invited to the Mass in honor of Our Lady of Chiquinquirá to be held on November 18".
The invitation is significant because the ceremony will commemorate 303 years of the discovery of the image of the Morena Queen of Venezuelans, and will be presided over by Mgr. Ulises Gutierrez, Archbishop of Ciudad Bolivar. On this occasion we will recall the 70th anniversary of Our Lady of Chiquinquirá; there will be 25 Bishops and many priests from all over the country. The devotion to the "Virgen Chinita" is extremely felt in all Venezuelan people and dates back to 1700. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 08/10/2012)
- 2015-09-01 - The Bishops on the situation of conflict with Colombia: "Human rights are the same for all"
- 2015-08-12 - No social communications no democracy Bishop Lückert León speaks about the media
- 2015-08-11 - Drugs are lacking in the country, some use those for animals
- 2015-08-07 - There are 10,000 participants attending the III Youth National Meeting
- 2015-08-06 - National meeting among the indigenous communities for the protection of human rights
- 2015-07-21 - The body of a Franciscan who died a few days has been found
- 2015-07-20 - Games, songs, dances: a feast to celebrate children
- 2015-07-10 - Catholic Bishops: "The Christian experience must have social consequences"
- 2015-07-07 - Mgr. Padrón: "Corruption, repression, popular discontent characterize the present"
- 2015-07-06 - 35,000 people have been isolated due to floods, other 25,000 at risk