AFRICA/NIGERIA - Massacre of students: " Boko Haram suspected," said Mgr. Kaigama
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) - "Each clue indicates that it is an action carried out by Boko Haram" says to Fides His Exc. Mgr. Ignatius Ayau Kaigama, Archbishop of Jos and President of the Episcopal Conference of Nigeria, commenting on the massacre of October 2, when a group of armed men stormed in the University of Mubi, in Adamawa State in northeastern Nigeria, killing at least forty students. Criminals brought together students and identified by name their victims before killing them.
The police have not yet commented officially on the authors of the massacre, but, according to Mgr. Kaigama, "it seems to have been perpetrated by Boko Haram members, because it is similar to other acts committed by them recently."
In recent weeks, even mosques and Muslim leaders have been victims of attacks carried out by Boko Haram. "Boko Haram is a criminal sect separated from the rest of Islam – stresses Mgr. Kaigama -. Its members are criminals who make no distinction between Christians and Muslims. The reasons for their violence go beyond religion."
"Our security services must find out what is behind the Boko Haram attacks " says the Archbishop of Jos. "I wonder if there is a political force with its strategy behind all this. But it is not my job to find out. I am a religious leader, it is not my job, it is up to the government and security forces. "
On October 4, President Goodluck Jonathan announced the appointment of a new Chief of Staff of the Armed Forces. "It can be a way to respond to the situation, because the population gets angrier and angrier by the day due to the massacre of innocent people killed for no reason. So I think it is time for the President to do what must be done, including a change of security chiefs," concluded Mgr. Kaigama. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 05/10/2012)
- 2013-11-25 AFRICA/NIGERIA - Cardinal Onaiyekan’s prudence on the news of Christian women abducted by Boko Haram and forcibly converted to Islam
- 2013-11-22 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "The existence of many Pentecostal churches is no impediment to the evangelization mission of the Catholic Church", said Cardinal Onaiyekan
- 2013-11-14 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "Good knowledge of other religions at the basis for dialogue between Christians and Muslims"
- 2013-11-13 AFRICA/NIGERIA - The Nigerian deputies open an investigation into the management of oil
- 2013-11-07 AFRICA/NIGERIA - A stampede left at least 28 people dead during a prayer vigil
- 2013-10-16 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "The Church urged to reduce poverty", says the Director of Caritas
- 2013-09-30 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "Boko Haram is now composed of fanatics that affect Christians and Muslims," said Bishop Kaigama
- 2013-09-20 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "I am happy to be a Catholic" Holy Childhood celebrates the Year of Faith
- 2013-09-20 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "Boko Haram has no qualms in killing innocent people", said Mgr. Kaigama
- 2013-09-16 AFRICA/NIGERIA - The Bishops denounce "the attempts of foreign agencies to introduce unhealthy values in society"