AMERICA/COLOMBIA - 10 days after the beginning of dialogue between the government and FARC: the Church has always worked for peace
Bogota (Agenzia Fides) - The Archbishop of Tunja, former President of the Episcopal Conference of Colombia, His Exc. Mgr. Luis Augusto Castro Quiroga said that the Catholic hierarchy will contribute all that is needed to ensure progress of peace negotiations between the government and FARC (Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia). In the note sent to Fides Agency, Archbishop Castro Quiroga said, speaking to a local radio station, that: "The fact that the Church does not have a place at the negotiating table, does not mean that it is out, because the efforts of peace had and will have our collaboration as a religious institution."
The Archbishop added: "President Santos has chosen the people they need at the negotiating table and in accordance with the points at issue. But this does not mean that we were not present in this process. We have accompanied and did it with the utmost discretion, and will continue to support it all day. "
According to media reports, the representatives of the Church were the key collaborators in the exploratory talks that led the government and FARC to start peace talks. The government and FARC will open peace talks to end half a century of armed conflict, on October 15 in Oslo, Norway. This dialogue will continue then in Cuba, Chile and Venezuela as guests. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 05/10/2012)
- 2013-06-13 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - "Health cannot become a business" Church's appeal for health care reform
- 2013-05-29 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Peace talks: First agreement on equitable distribution of land
- 2013-05-20 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - "Walking towards justice and peace," Week of Prayer for Christian Unity
- 2013-05-13 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Even indigenous groups celebrated the first holy Colombian
- 2013-05-11 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - The first Holy Colombian: "Mother Laura is not a utopia, but a concrete program"
- 2013-05-08 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - The funeral of the priest killed will be celebrated today, the Bishop denounces the widespread violence in the country
- 2013-05-07 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Another priest killed
- 2013-05-07 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - A sad record to abolish: 5 million internally displaced persons
- 2013-05-02 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Every hour 2 children suffer abuse in Bogota
- 2013-04-13 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Diocese threatened by armed group