AFRICA/MOZAMBIQUE - After 20 years since the peace agreement, the Bishops ask to strengthen democracy
Maputo (Agenzia Fides) - Mozambique celebrates today, October 4th, the 20th anniversary of the peace agreement that put an end to nearly two decades of civil war that erupted after the independence from Portugal.
The local Bishops, in a pastoral note sent to Fides Agency, entitled "Building democracy to preserve peace," recall the contribution of the Church to keep the hope of the people alive, even in the darkest moments of the war, and efforts to reach agreement.
After emphasizing the progress made by Mozambique in the past 20 years of peace, the Bishops express their concerns about the state of democracy in the Country. It should be noted that the agreement signed in Rome 20 years ago states that local political parties have an internal democratic and transparent structure. "However, we are faced with the paradox of parties that claim to be the defenders of democracy, but in practice, in their internal and ordinary conduct, are authoritarian," said the note, which also observes how the persistence of the "tendency to absolutize political parties and the cult of its leaders personality, is not necessary to ensure peace in Mozambique."
The Bishops also claim that the so-called "Megaprojects" (economic development programs) should take into account the various environmental, social, economic, cultural and political problematics. "Mozambique is not, and cannot be transformed, in a supermarket" is stated in the note, which concludes with an appeal to overcome poverty, not only economic but also spiritual. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 04/10/2012)
- 2015-11-11 - "Abandon arms and follow the path of dialogue" ask the Bishops
- 2015-11-05 - Eight hundred children in feast: they will not study any more in the rain or under the hot sun
- 2015-09-09 - President Nyusi recognizes the Church's role in national reconciliation
- 2015-07-31 - For some 10,000 children development and survival threatened by congenital malformation
- 2015-07-01 - School lunch program to fight malnutrition and school dropout
- 2015-03-06 - "National unity threatened by the selfishness of a corrupt minority" say Bishops
- 2015-01-16 - Thousands of displaced and deaths because of torrential rains
- 2014-10-31 - Project for a "return to normality" after months of armed conflict
- 2014-10-20 - "Fair, free and transparent" elections, but not everyone agrees
- 2014-09-06 - AFRICA/MOZAMBIQUE – Peace agreement signed in view of October elections