ASIA/MIDDLE EAST - "Ecclesia in the Middle East": a document that gives hope to Christians in the region
Beirut (Agenzia Fides) - Christian and Muslim Communities read, spread, photocopy, studying the Post-Synodal Exhortation "Ecclesia in the Middle East", issued by Pope Benedict XVI during his visit to Lebanon. As reported by local sources of Fides Agency, the wide spread is registered in Lebanon but also in Syria, Jordan and the Holy Land. The Christian faithful, of all confessions, pending the release of an official document in Arabic by the Vatican Publishing, print the exhortation from the Vatican website, photocopy it, read it and study it in the various communities.
"It is a reading that takes place with greed and strong interest," explains to Fides Agency the Lay Catholic Wissam Lahham, a member of the "Assembly of Eastern Christians," a Christian NGO based in Beirut, working with projects in favor of the Christian communities in the Middle East. Laham explains: "Muslim communities that are studying it and appreciate it. Christians of all denominations, Catholics, Orthodox, Protestants underline a very important point: the invitation 'not to be afraid', to live in the Middle East building peace and coexistence. It is a key phrase that remains etched in the minds of Christians, in the context in which we live today."
"The Ecclesia in the Middle East - he concludes - teaches us that we are bearers of hope, even in insecurity and suffering. Even in these difficult times, we know that after dark there is the Resurrection. It is a document that gives a lot of hope to Christians in this region. "
In Syria, the spread is more difficult for the conflict in progress, but one is doing an ecumenical work of knowledge with the regards to the contents of the document.
In Holy Land, as the Patriarch of Jerusalem reports to Fides, one of the fruits of Benedict XVI's visit to Lebanon is the impetus for the promotion of the teachings of the Pope in Arabic, as for the post-Synodal Exhortation, Catechism in Arabic, the Catechism for young people "Youcat", translated into Arabic thanks to the work of "Aid to the Church in Need" and distributed in more than 50,000 free copies. Ecclesia in the Middle East encourages, in fact, the reading and teaching of the Catechism of the Catholic Church. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 04/10/2012)
- 2013-05-20 AFRICA - "Greater financial transparency" is what two Bishops ask the European Union
- 2013-04-22 AFRICA - Reception centers for 4,000 street children in the Sahel
- 2013-04-19 AFRICA – Hunger emergency for a half million children in the Sahel region
- 2013-04-16 AMERICA/CANADA - Appointment of National Director of the Pontifical Mission Societies
- 2013-04-13 AFRICA/NIGERIA - Resignation of the Bishop of Nsukka and appointment of successor
- 2013-03-18 AMERICA - From CELAM to Pope Francis: "Let us always remember the call to mission. Bishop and people"
- 2013-03-08 ASIA - Civil and religious leaders united against nuclear weapons
- 2013-01-28 AFRICA/NIGER - Appointment of Auxiliary Bishop of Niamey
- 2013-01-21 AFRICA/GABON - Resignation of the Bishop of Mouila and appointment of Successor
- 2013-01-18 AFRICA/SENEGAL - Appointment of the Bishop of Thiès