AMERICA/HONDURAS - "I do not want to go back": every week 200 Honduran children are repatriated
El Corinth (Agenzia Fides) - From two border towns of Honduras, Aguas Calientes and El Corinto, where about 200 minors return every week, arrives the testimony of Sister Lydia Mara Silva de Souza, National Coordinator for the Pastoral Care of Human Mobility of Honduras. The religious notes that about 10 percent of immigrants that undertake the dangerous journey to the United States, are Honduran children. Of these, at least four out of ten are sent back home every day from Mexico.
In the note sent to Fides by the Catholic weekly to our Agency, Sister Lydia says that "in the case of immigrant children, they do not want to go back because the main reasons that lead a child to immigrate to the United States is for family reunification and the life of violence they suffer in the family, with physical, mental and emotional abuse, as well as sexual and labor exploitation."
The nun, who receives the support of several houses of immigrants and NGOs also reported that the Honduran consulates in Mexico and Guatemala do not offer any help in this terrible situation, while the number of children going out of the country increases, and unfortunately the parents’ silence does not help to define the actual number of children who are in Honduras, Guatemala and Mexico. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 03/10/2012)
- 2013-11-21 AMERICA/HONDURAS - "A story of injustice and inequality, it is time for a change": ready for Sunday's elections
- 2013-11-19 AMERICA/HONDURAS - "Vote to have transparent and honest politicians"; 51% of voters are women
- 2013-10-11 AMERICA/HONDURAS - "Children in Christ, firm in Faith", 20,000 letters to the Pope for the National Day of Missionary Childhood
- 2013-10-11 AMERICA/HONDURAS - Confidence in the future of the country, the Bishops call for a free and responsible election
- 2013-09-06 AMERICA/HONDURAS - Domestic violence, poverty, organized crime for the children of one of the most violent countries in the world
- 2013-08-22 AMERICA/HONDURAS - The Tolupanes ethnic group survives in poverty
- 2013-07-12 AMERICA/HONDURAS - "We have hit rock bottom but we have to try to raise the country together", says Mgr. Emiliani after the murder of the journalist
- 2013-07-11 AMERICA/HONDURAS - More violence in the Country, national mourning for the murder of a well-known journalist
- 2013-07-03 AMERICA/HONDURAS - There is a growing gap between rich and poor
- 2013-06-18 AMERICA/HONDURAS - "The government has not yet responded to the peace initiative of the gangs," said Mgr. Emiliani