AMERICA/VENEZUELA - "The vote is a positive way to decide the future of the country, but it must be done consciously" stresses the Archbishop of Mérida
Mérida (Agenzia Fides) - In view of the upcoming presidential elections on October 7, the Archbishop of Mérida, His Exc. Mgr. Baltazar Enrique Porras Cardozo, released a statement that was also sent to Fides Agency. Mgr. Porras presents the election as "an occasion for serene and confident reflection, but we need to pray," and explains what it means to pray: "It is not to repeat phrases, but to put ourselves before God who asks us questions: What have you done for your brother and sister?". And continues:" Without respect and consideration for others, whatever their condition is, there is no possibility of building fraternity. This is why the Bishops of Venezuela stress the need for reconciliation and dialogue. It is necessary to avoid any violence and hatred, desire and action which determines physical or spiritual harm or death."
Mgr. Porras recalls the importance of civic duty: "The vote is a positive way to participate and decide the future of the country. But one has to do it consciously, thinking about the good of all, rather than personal property. It is not my interests that should mark the preferences, but the social good: which allows one the freedom to expand, dissent and opinion become a right, truth will prevail over any manipulation or deception, creativity is our best contribution to a society in which we all live, thinking first of the poor and the disadvantaged. "
The Catholic Church has specifically asked all "a conscience vote, freely and without violence" (see Fides 28/09/2012). While the National Electoral Council has started the distribution of the material needed to prepare the polls, the majority of the population is still uncertain about the choice of the presidential candidate to vote for. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 02/10/2012)
- 2013-05-15 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Maronite Patriarch Rai: "Venezuela is in good hands"
- 2013-05-03 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Urgent mediation of the church, the country still in violence for political clashes
- 2013-04-18 AMERICA/VENEZUELA – Infant malnutrition remains a serious problem
- 2013-04-18 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - The church offers itself as a guarantor of peace before the violence in the country
- 2013-04-15 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Nicolas Maduro new Venezuelan President
- 2013-04-05 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - " Abstention is not conducive to the people": the Bishops invite to vote on April 14
- 2013-03-20 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Poverty in the country is three times higher than that of Chile and Uruguay
- 2013-03-18 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - A Day dedicated to Girls and Indigenous Children
- 2013-03-09 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Cardinal Urosa in Rome at the Mass for Chavez: "Look ahead and seek peace"
- 2013-03-07 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Tomorrow a Mass for the late President Chavez presided over by Cardinal Urosa in Rome