AMERICA/BRAZIL - "The candidates are opponents, not enemies": Church calls for a vote without violence
Brasilia (Agenzia Fides) - The upcoming municipal elections, which will be held on October 7, is "an opportunity to strengthen the Brazilian democracy." The use of violence, which characterizes the campaign in many areas, "is unacceptable: candidates are opponents, not enemies": So says a statement issued by the Council of Bishops of Brazil, gathered in Brasilia from September 25 to 27. According to the Council of Bishops, the next administrative elections "trigger a process of greater participation," approaching candidates and voters.
The Bishops’ note, sent to Fides Agency, said: "The law that fights vote-buying and the law of 'Transparent Paper', both born of popular mobilization (see Fides 17/02/2012, 24/09/2011 and 30/10/2010), have proved to being effective in preventing corrupted people occupying public offices." But, the report says, it is always necessary that every voter exercises "their awareness, both at the moment of voting, and when applying these laws," denouncing candidates and parties involved in illegal practices.
The document, signed by the highest authorities of the Episcopal Conference, warned: "The use of violence is unacceptable: candidates are opponents, not enemies. The division, fueled by hatred and revenge, contradicts the gospel principle of charity and forgiveness and hurts human dignity: It also violates the basic rules of healthy living together in society, which should guide every political militancy. Otherwise, how can one look for the common good, inspiring principle of politics? ".
Brazilian citizens of 5565 the city will be called to the polls on October 7th. According to the Brazilian press, the "Workers Party", currently in power in the country, have a decline in popularity, due to the scandals concerning the alleged vote-buying. The surveys foresee the decline in key cities such as Sao Paulo, Belo Horizonte, Salvador and Recife. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 29/09/2012)
- 2013-06-08 AMERICA/BRAZIL - RELAMI: Latin American Network of Missiology
- 2013-06-06 AMERICA/BRAZIL - The Bishops’ warning: Too much violence in Mato Grosso
- 2013-05-22 AMERICA/BRAZIL - "Repression against indigenous peoples has become a systematic practice", denounces the CIMI
- 2013-05-16 AMERICA/BRAZIL – Still victims because of the mismanagement of health care of indigenous peoples
- 2013-05-14 AMERICA/BRAZIL - India is at the center of the reflection for the Week of Prayer for the Unity of Brazilian Christians
- 2013-03-15 AMERICA/BRAZIL - Nearly 800,000 people have been killed by gunfire in the last 30 years
- 2013-03-01 AMERICA/BRAZIL - "The conflict over the land is also ruining our culture," say the indigenous communities
- 2013-02-20 AMERICA/BRAZIL - Fighting trafficking of women with international emergency telephone help lines
- 2013-02-15 AMERICA/BRAZIL - A parish in the heart of the Amazon for the Redemptorist missionaries
- 2013-02-15 AMERICA/BRAZIL - Protagonists of a strategic development: young people in the Fraternity Campaign 2013