AMERICA/PERU - Hospitals and schools still on strike: Church’s appeal to dialogue
Lima (Agenzia Fides) – To start "constructive dialogue" in order to put an end to the strike, "thinking of the common good": is the appeal made by the President of the Episcopal Conference, Mgr. Salvador Piñeiro Garcia-Calderon, Archbishop of Ayacucho, to the Government and health care and public education workers, who for weeks have been on strike. The strike, for salary adjustments, is causing the prolonged closure of schools (since 5 September) and hospitals (since 18 September), which puts stress on the people.
In a statement sent to Fides Agency, Mgr. Salvador Piñeiro recalls that "the school, by virtue of its mission, is the best place to build a great Peru, able to overcome poverty and injustice and to promote solidarity and development." And then he adds: Health is a fundamental right of every human being, that States must ensure without privileges or exclusions. Health professionals have a noble mission of service to life and dignity of every person." The Archbishop calls on the government and workers "to find solutions to meet their needs in a fair manner, thinking about the common good, especially children and adolescents, and all those who need health care." The Church calls for a negotiating table "avoiding violence, in a climate of justice, solidarity, dialogue and mutual respect."
The Peruvian Medical Federation began an all-out strike on September 18, while the Union of Education Workers of Peru which brings together teachers of public education, has been in turmoil since September 5 against the proposed law that reforms school and for better wages. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 29/09/2012)
- 2013-04-25 AMERICA/PERU - Education and sports activities for street children
- 2013-03-23 AMERICA/PERU - Thousands for the March for Life, rather than a law, the testimony of the population
- 2013-02-23 AMERICA/PERU - Solidarity and sobriety: the solution to the crisis
- 2013-01-08 AMERICA/PERU - For the first time the "Sowers of Stars" march in the streets of the Peruvian capital
- 2012-11-28 AMERICA/PERU - A program of support for more than 6000 street children and adolescents has started
- 2012-11-23 AMERICA/PERU - The first stone of the new church dedicated to San. Pedro and San. Pablo in Ichu was blessed
- 2012-11-13 AMERICA/PERU- Forced labor for 200 000 children in the region of Puno
- 2012-11-08 AMERICA/PERU - "Being able to read, listen, see": a Congress on the ethical responsibility of spectators
- 2012-10-25 AMERICA/PERU - New website guides the faithful Peruvians in the Year of Faith
- 2012-10-17 AMERICA/PERU - "To carry out mission in an area where there are scars of violence": the testimony of the Archbishop of Ayacucho