AMERICA/PERU - Hospitals and schools still on strike: Church’s appeal to dialogue
Lima (Agenzia Fides) – To start "constructive dialogue" in order to put an end to the strike, "thinking of the common good": is the appeal made by the President of the Episcopal Conference, Mgr. Salvador Piñeiro Garcia-Calderon, Archbishop of Ayacucho, to the Government and health care and public education workers, who for weeks have been on strike. The strike, for salary adjustments, is causing the prolonged closure of schools (since 5 September) and hospitals (since 18 September), which puts stress on the people.
In a statement sent to Fides Agency, Mgr. Salvador Piñeiro recalls that "the school, by virtue of its mission, is the best place to build a great Peru, able to overcome poverty and injustice and to promote solidarity and development." And then he adds: Health is a fundamental right of every human being, that States must ensure without privileges or exclusions. Health professionals have a noble mission of service to life and dignity of every person." The Archbishop calls on the government and workers "to find solutions to meet their needs in a fair manner, thinking about the common good, especially children and adolescents, and all those who need health care." The Church calls for a negotiating table "avoiding violence, in a climate of justice, solidarity, dialogue and mutual respect."
The Peruvian Medical Federation began an all-out strike on September 18, while the Union of Education Workers of Peru which brings together teachers of public education, has been in turmoil since September 5 against the proposed law that reforms school and for better wages. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 29/09/2012)
- 2014-12-16 - Climate change: Christians in defense of the weak and of their suffering
- 2014-12-13 - Analysis of the socio-cultural impacts of mining and contribution of missionaries
- 2014-12-03 - COP 20: world meeting for climatic justice, churches together to care for creation
- 2014-11-15 - "Network for a Culture of meeting", also Cusco present at the XIII Meeting of RIIAL
- 2014-11-05 - The Bishops are always close to the 3 and a half million Peruvians away from home
- 2014-10-31 - Thousands of young people on pilgrimage instead of the "Feast of Hallowen"
- 2014-09-30 - How to prevent child labor and ensure adequate opportunities for growth
- 2014-09-23 - "Gold fever" increases human trafficking and sexual exploitation
- 2014-09-19 - The activist who fought for the Amazonian forest, against the deforestation of his land killed
- 2014-09-10 - “Young people without frontiers”: witnesses and proclaimers of the faith to the world of today