AMERICA/PERU - Hospitals and schools still on strike: Church’s appeal to dialogue
Lima (Agenzia Fides) – To start "constructive dialogue" in order to put an end to the strike, "thinking of the common good": is the appeal made by the President of the Episcopal Conference, Mgr. Salvador Piñeiro Garcia-Calderon, Archbishop of Ayacucho, to the Government and health care and public education workers, who for weeks have been on strike. The strike, for salary adjustments, is causing the prolonged closure of schools (since 5 September) and hospitals (since 18 September), which puts stress on the people.
In a statement sent to Fides Agency, Mgr. Salvador Piñeiro recalls that "the school, by virtue of its mission, is the best place to build a great Peru, able to overcome poverty and injustice and to promote solidarity and development." And then he adds: Health is a fundamental right of every human being, that States must ensure without privileges or exclusions. Health professionals have a noble mission of service to life and dignity of every person." The Archbishop calls on the government and workers "to find solutions to meet their needs in a fair manner, thinking about the common good, especially children and adolescents, and all those who need health care." The Church calls for a negotiating table "avoiding violence, in a climate of justice, solidarity, dialogue and mutual respect."
The Peruvian Medical Federation began an all-out strike on September 18, while the Union of Education Workers of Peru which brings together teachers of public education, has been in turmoil since September 5 against the proposed law that reforms school and for better wages. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 29/09/2012)
- 2014-04-16 - Small producers of pineapple take a step forward in the domestic market, with the support of Caritas
- 2014-04-02 - More than 600 former child workers have started school in the province of Chiclayo
- 2014-03-21 - Bishop of Chimbote obligated to special security measures
- 2014-03-07 - The Church denounces the alarming pollution of the Peruvian forest
- 2014-02-27 - “Ninos de plomo” Children of Lead: education programme for mineral contaminated minors
- 2014-02-19 - "For a participated and technical debate": the Bishops on the university law
- 2014-01-28 - Dispute between Peru and Chile: an example of how to resolve differences in a peaceful manner
- 2014-01-21 - In prayer for harmony among the peoples, pending the judgment of the Hague
- 2014-01-20 - The Bishops gathered in Plenary Assembly
- 2014-01-14 - "Without communication, there are no rights"