AMERICA/PERU - Hospitals and schools still on strike: Church’s appeal to dialogue
Lima (Agenzia Fides) – To start "constructive dialogue" in order to put an end to the strike, "thinking of the common good": is the appeal made by the President of the Episcopal Conference, Mgr. Salvador Piñeiro Garcia-Calderon, Archbishop of Ayacucho, to the Government and health care and public education workers, who for weeks have been on strike. The strike, for salary adjustments, is causing the prolonged closure of schools (since 5 September) and hospitals (since 18 September), which puts stress on the people.
In a statement sent to Fides Agency, Mgr. Salvador Piñeiro recalls that "the school, by virtue of its mission, is the best place to build a great Peru, able to overcome poverty and injustice and to promote solidarity and development." And then he adds: Health is a fundamental right of every human being, that States must ensure without privileges or exclusions. Health professionals have a noble mission of service to life and dignity of every person." The Archbishop calls on the government and workers "to find solutions to meet their needs in a fair manner, thinking about the common good, especially children and adolescents, and all those who need health care." The Church calls for a negotiating table "avoiding violence, in a climate of justice, solidarity, dialogue and mutual respect."
The Peruvian Medical Federation began an all-out strike on September 18, while the Union of Education Workers of Peru which brings together teachers of public education, has been in turmoil since September 5 against the proposed law that reforms school and for better wages. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 29/09/2012)
- 2015-07-25 - AMERICA/PERU – 100 years of mission among indigenous women in the Amazon
- 2015-07-23 - Peru and Brazil together to eradicate child labour in Amazonia
- 2015-07-03 - Lost childhood in coffee plantations
- 2015-06-13 - National Week of the Migrant: Letter of Bishops to 3 million Peruvians abroad
- 2015-05-12 - Bishops call for urgent action and dialogue, "No more violence" for the Tia Maria case
- 2015-04-13 - Many children grow up in prison with their imprisoned mothers
- 2015-04-09 - Children forced to attend classes under trees infested by wasps
- 2015-02-05 - In August, the beatification of three missionaries killed: the first martyrs of the diocese and Peru
- 2015-02-04 - The three missionaries killed in 1991 will be beatified because they were close to the poorest
- 2015-01-27 - The Bishop of Chimbote asks protection for judges: "We are living in fear"