AMERICA/PERU - Hospitals and schools still on strike: Church’s appeal to dialogue
Lima (Agenzia Fides) – To start "constructive dialogue" in order to put an end to the strike, "thinking of the common good": is the appeal made by the President of the Episcopal Conference, Mgr. Salvador Piñeiro Garcia-Calderon, Archbishop of Ayacucho, to the Government and health care and public education workers, who for weeks have been on strike. The strike, for salary adjustments, is causing the prolonged closure of schools (since 5 September) and hospitals (since 18 September), which puts stress on the people.
In a statement sent to Fides Agency, Mgr. Salvador Piñeiro recalls that "the school, by virtue of its mission, is the best place to build a great Peru, able to overcome poverty and injustice and to promote solidarity and development." And then he adds: Health is a fundamental right of every human being, that States must ensure without privileges or exclusions. Health professionals have a noble mission of service to life and dignity of every person." The Archbishop calls on the government and workers "to find solutions to meet their needs in a fair manner, thinking about the common good, especially children and adolescents, and all those who need health care." The Church calls for a negotiating table "avoiding violence, in a climate of justice, solidarity, dialogue and mutual respect."
The Peruvian Medical Federation began an all-out strike on September 18, while the Union of Education Workers of Peru which brings together teachers of public education, has been in turmoil since September 5 against the proposed law that reforms school and for better wages. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 29/09/2012)
- 2014-08-18 - Killed during their missionary work 23 years ago
- 2014-07-26 - 193 years of independent and Catholic life
- 2014-07-07 - The President receives requests to stop the law on therapeutic abortion
- 2014-07-04 - School conditions for poor Ashaninkas children
- 2014-07-02 - Legislation for therapeutic abortion is "immoral, unconstitutional and illegal"
- 2014-06-23 - Disabled children integrated in public schools in the south-west area of the Country
- 2014-06-13 - Denunciation of the Bishop of Puerto Maldonado for the violent intervention of the police against the miners
- 2014-05-27 - The Bishop of Chimbote: "to link all to criminality is just junk journalism"
- 2014-05-17 - Ceramic workshop in prison, with the help of the local Church
- 2014-04-16 - Small producers of pineapple take a step forward in the domestic market, with the support of Caritas