AMERICA/VENEZUELA - President of the Episcopal Conference calls for a "vote of conscience, in freedom and without violence"
Caracas (Agenzia Fides) - The President of the Episcopal Conference of Venezuela, His Exc. Mgr. Diego Rafael Padrón Sánchez, Archbishop of Cumaná, asked the candidates in the upcoming presidential elections on October 7, to " think about the good of the country. " Speaking to a radio station, he added that the presidential candidates should give "an example of respect " and " example of how to express oneself. "
The Archbishop then recalled that the Catholic Church has asked for three things to the people of Venezuela: "vote of conscience, thinking about the good of the country", "vote freely, with security" and "vote peacefully." In the note sent to Fides Agency, Mgr. Padron also stresses the Church's invitation when choosing a candidate: "Make sure there is justice, in particular the care for the most disadvantaged people in society and that at all times the Constitution is not just a book, but a concrete reality in Venezuela."
Archbishop Diego Rafael Padrón Sánchez concluded his speech by saying that after October 7 a new stage for Venezuela begins, and the Church will be on the side of the people in its concerns, its needs and its manifestations.
The new president elected on October 7 will remain in office for a period of six years. Although there are 7 candidates on the list, only two are favoured: Hugo Chávez Frías and Henrique Capriles. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 28/09/2012)
- 2013-06-12 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - "The poor cannot wait," meeting of Caritas Latin America and the Caribbean
- 2013-05-15 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Maronite Patriarch Rai: "Venezuela is in good hands"
- 2013-05-03 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Urgent mediation of the church, the country still in violence for political clashes
- 2013-04-18 AMERICA/VENEZUELA – Infant malnutrition remains a serious problem
- 2013-04-18 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - The church offers itself as a guarantor of peace before the violence in the country
- 2013-04-15 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Nicolas Maduro new Venezuelan President
- 2013-04-05 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - " Abstention is not conducive to the people": the Bishops invite to vote on April 14
- 2013-03-20 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Poverty in the country is three times higher than that of Chile and Uruguay
- 2013-03-18 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - A Day dedicated to Girls and Indigenous Children
- 2013-03-09 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Cardinal Urosa in Rome at the Mass for Chavez: "Look ahead and seek peace"